Go Back   HowtoForge Forums | HowtoForge - Linux Howtos and Tutorials > Linux Forums > HOWTO-Related Questions

Do you like HowtoForge? Please consider supporting us by becoming a subscriber.

Old 14th February 2006, 18:24

Send a message via Yahoo to cybereatl

You know what, actually I did have a copy of fstab but the command line don't give me the option to copy the file from /home/admin/backup/fstab on that place that shows me before, So you know what is was that way it might help others!!
Old 14th February 2006, 19:05
Super Moderator

Thanked 2,743 Times in 2,577 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cybereatl
You know what, actually I did have a copy of fstab but the command line don't give me the option to copy the file from /home/admin/backup/fstab on that place that shows me before, So you know what is was that way it might help others!!
If you want to copy your fstab backup from /home/admin/backup/fstab to /etc/fstab, simply run
Code:
cp -f /home/admin/backup/fstab /etc/fstab

FB: http://www.facebook.com/howtoforge

nginx-Webhosting: Timme Hosting | Follow me on:
Old 14th February 2006, 23:07

Quote:
Originally Posted by falko
Have a look at these two tutorials:
http://www.howtoforge.com/howto_linux_systemimager
http://www.howtoforge.com/dedicated_...e_systemimager

I recommend to disable SELinux. Open /etc/sysconfig/selinux and set SELINUX to disabled:
Code:
SELINUX=disabled
Then reboot your system.

Also have a look here: http://fedora.redhat.com/docs/selinu...olling-selinux
My logic said enable it since the Perfect Setup said we were disabling it for security in ISPConfig... My illogical side said "but didn't we read that SELinux was trouble"... so much for logic! lol

I'll check out the links, thanks! Hate it when you guy's assign home work!!

As if I haven't pulled enough hair I have decided to reset the drive with dual boot option to Windows 2000 Pro and FC4. I found what appears to be a good (and current!) HowTo for this. Any thoughts or comments?
Old 15th February 2006, 00:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by falko
If you want to copy your fstab backup from /home/admin/backup/fstab to /etc/fstab, simply run
Code:
cp -f /home/admin/backup/fstab /etc/fstab
I assume this was in response to my question about copying and overwriting /etc/fstab when when the system failed to boot after install. I had to do some reading so I understood fstab and what was being said...

This is simply a config file that set controls for mounted partitions correct? And copying this file does not clone the whole drive does it? I am not sure I understand the purpose of copying from /home/admin/backup to /etc/fstab since it actually resides in /etc. (well... unless the one in /etc got hosed somehow) Wouldn't it be the other way around? copy it from /etc/fstab to /home/admin/backup/fstab?

I did learn some interesting stuff though! This file is why I could not get the console to recognize my floppy drive when I tried to copy it to the ststem.
Code:
# This file is edited by fstab-sync - see 'man fstab-sync' for details
LABEL=/                 /                       ext3    defaults,usrquota,grpquota        1 1
LABEL=/boot             /boot                   ext3    defaults        1 2
/dev/devpts             /dev/pts                devpts  gid=5,mode=620  0 0
/dev/shm                /dev/shm                tmpfs   defaults        0 0
/dev/proc               /proc                   proc    defaults        0 0
/dev/sys                /sys                    sysfs   defaults        0 0
LABEL=73>Iol   swap                    swap    defaults        0 0
/dev/fd0                /media/floppy1          auto    pamconsole,exec,noauto,managed 0 0
/dev/hdd                /media/cdrecorder       auto    pamconsole,exec,noauto,managed 0 0
/dev/fd0 and /dev/hdd both appear to be missing some key properties in the 4th column such as rw and user.

I do not have a clue what that stuff after LABEL= for the swap partition is!? but it does not look right...
Old 15th February 2006, 09:38
Super Moderator

Thanked 2,743 Times in 2,577 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by latcarf
I assume this was in response to my question about copying and overwriting /etc/fstab when when the system failed to boot after install. I had to do some reading so I understood fstab and what was being said...
It was in response to cybereatl's question how to copy back his fstab from /home/admin/backup to /etc.

Quote:
This is simply a config file that set controls for mounted partitions correct? And copying this file does not clone the whole drive does it?
Right.

Quote:
I am not sure I understand the purpose of copying from /home/admin/backup to /etc/fstab since it actually resides in /etc. (well... unless the one in /etc got hosed somehow) Wouldn't it be the other way around? copy it from /etc/fstab to /home/admin/backup/fstab?
Prior to editing /etc/fstab, cybereatl had made a backup of /etc/fstab in /home/admin/backup. Now he corrupted his /etc/fstab and wanted to get back his original fstab, that's why I told him to copy it back from /home/admin/backup to /etc.

Quote:
I did learn some interesting stuff though! This file is why I could not get the console to recognize my floppy drive when I tried to copy it to the ststem.
Code:
# This file is edited by fstab-sync - see 'man fstab-sync' for details
LABEL=/                 /                       ext3    defaults,usrquota,grpquota        1 1
LABEL=/boot             /boot                   ext3    defaults        1 2
/dev/devpts             /dev/pts                devpts  gid=5,mode=620  0 0
/dev/shm                /dev/shm                tmpfs   defaults        0 0
/dev/proc               /proc                   proc    defaults        0 0
/dev/sys                /sys                    sysfs   defaults        0 0
LABEL=73>Iol   swap                    swap    defaults        0 0
/dev/fd0                /media/floppy1          auto    pamconsole,exec,noauto,managed 0 0
/dev/hdd                /media/cdrecorder       auto    pamconsole,exec,noauto,managed 0 0
/dev/fd0 and /dev/hdd both appear to be missing some key properties in the 4th column such as rw and user.

I do not have a clue what that stuff after LABEL= for the swap partition is!? but it does not look right...
It should look similar to this:
Code:
LABEL=SWAP-sda3         swap                    swap    defaults        0 0

FB: http://www.facebook.com/howtoforge

nginx-Webhosting: Timme Hosting | Follow me on: