Go Back   HowtoForge Forums | HowtoForge - Linux Howtos and Tutorials > ISPConfig 3 > Developers' Forum

Do you like HowtoForge? Please consider supporting us by becoming a subscriber.

Old 3rd November 2008, 15:51

I can add apache directives with the frontend but the field is limited. Is this intended or should I file a bug about it?

Another thing with this: if I put

Code:
<Directory /var/www/domain.tld/web/drupal>
    Options -Indexes +FollowSymlinks
    AllowOverride Indexes AuthConfig Limit FileInfo Options=php_value
    Order allow,deny
    Allow from all
    DirectoryIndex index.php
</Directory>
in it then in the domain.tld.vhost file its just one line so apache wont start.
The opening and closing tags should be on a separate line.
Sponsored Links
Old 3rd November 2008, 16:04

kalua, you know what? I was thinking about it and I think it would be a better idea for the ISPConfig3 module, if it just copied the drupal files to the client's webfolder. Maybe even have something config drupal, but I would err against that. I believe the ISP should only provide the Drupal software, that way the ISP doesn't have to worry about drupal updates, or accidentally breaking someone's site due to an update.
Old 3rd November 2008, 16:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by quentusrex View Post
kalua, you know what? I was thinking about it and I think it would be a better idea for the ISPConfig3 module, if it just copied the drupal files to the client's webfolder. Maybe even have something config drupal, but I would err against that. I believe the ISP should only provide the Drupal software, that way the ISP doesn't have to worry about drupal updates, or accidentally breaking someone's site due to an update.
I think, if the client has everything in its webroot, it would be the most flexible way for the client. He would than be responsible for updates etc.
The setup should be possible just with the client account, so the server admin don't has to do anything.

Maybe there are other voices out there, which wants to offer as much as possible to the client (different cms versions, webmail, everything). If I would be in such a position I would limit the client so such a complex setup would rune smooth.

I'm in favour of the flexible client way...
Old 3rd November 2008, 16:40

Right, I think the role of the ISPConfig3 module would be to make drupal installation very simple for the client. The module would also setup the vhost file in such a way to easily allow for clean urls. The module would also handle directing the user to setup their new site with a link to the corrent starting page, which is install.php, not index.php.
Old 3rd November 2008, 17:10

An drupal setup in an subdirectory can setup by a client. The client has to add an apache directive so he can use the drupal .htaccess
I have this config working now on my server.

Problems appear if the client has more than on subfolder AND the default domain.tld is redirected to the drupal subfolder. Then the apps in the subfolders would not be accessible anymore.

The solution would be to write RewriteCond-lines for each subfolder to the vhost-file. In the frontend there needs to be a new field where the user can list the folders which should not be redirected to the drupal-folder.

edit: And it has to be in the vhost-file because the user wouldn't be able to write these rules in the htaccess file.

Sounds this like a practicable way to go?

Last edited by kalua; 3rd November 2008 at 17:12.
Old 3rd November 2008, 17:18

How about not rewriting any of the folders. Have the module dump the drupal folders and files into the /web/ folder, and then just have a .htaccess file in the client's folder? Or maybe a standardized way of rewriting in the client's vhost file. If the client doesn't use the module for the install, then the client has to find some other way to get clean urls. If the client uses the module, then the module would just add a few lines to the vhost file.
Old 3rd November 2008, 17:33

On my first try I had setup drupal in the web folder and that was working. But if you want to have other apps you have to create subfolders in the web folder. This way the drupal directory structure would be extended and you have to track (or worst: remember ) wich directories belong to drupal and which don't.

And if you want to setup an application which is called modules (yes I know not very likely) you are in trouble because this is an directory of drupal.