Go Back   HowtoForge Forums | HowtoForge - Linux Howtos and Tutorials > ISPConfig 3 > Developers' Forum

Do you like HowtoForge? Please consider supporting us by becoming a subscriber.

Old 27th October 2008, 17:30

Question General ISPCONFIG 3 Questions

First off I would like to say that I love the new Template / Theme that your using in the latest SVN Repository version.

I've currently have ISPCONFIG install on Ubuntu 8.04.

I have a few general questions here in regards to ISPCONFIG 3 and its features:
1.)The installation READ ME file has us install Webalizer but I do not know where to access the Webalizer Stats page. Specific url?

2.) Is there an easy way to upgrade the SVN Repository versions / or the Current beta 3.0.0.7?

3.) Webmail, Any plans to integrate webmail into the CP?

4.) Is there any additional documentation for ISPCONFIG 3? Googling does not come up with a lot of information regarding it.

5.) I do have a mini hosting business going and I'm planning on upgrading everything very shortly. I'm wondering if I should use ISPCONFIG 3 for Production or should I just stick with the latest ISPCONFIG 2.x?
I prefer the look and feel of ISOCONFIG 3 over 2.x, but I'm a little unsure what to go with at this time.

I seem to have a few mailServer issues as well running 3... I'm currently working that though.
Sponsored Links
Old 27th October 2008, 18:06
Super Moderator

Thanked 5,652 Times in 4,461 Posts

1) http://www.yourdomain.com/stats/

2) execute: ispconfig_update_from_svn.sh

3) No. Why shall we dupliacte the effort to writa webmail application as all common webmail packages that support pop3 or imap are compatible with ispconfig.

4) no.

5) ISPConfig 3 is beta, so there might be problems. But especially the mailserver part is very solid in ispconfoig 3 and there are no open bugs for this part and no changes planned until the final version, I use the mail server as production server for nearly a year now without any problems.
Old 27th October 2008, 21:00

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by till View Post
1) http://www.yourdomain.com/stats/

2) execute: ispconfig_update_from_svn.sh

3) No. Why shall we dupliacte the effort to writa webmail application as all common webmail packages that support pop3 or imap are compatible with ispconfig.

4) no.

5) ISPConfig 3 is beta, so there might be problems. But especially the mailserver part is very solid in ispconfoig 3 and there are no open bugs for this part and no changes planned until the final version, I use the mail server as production server for nearly a year now without any problems.
Thanks for your response Till.
I have another question if you don't mind;

When a client creates a new SQL database, the 'host' is automatically set to '%'. The user is then unable to log into phpmyadmin using his username and password he select for the specific database.

Once I change the host from '%' to 'localhost', they have no problems logging in after that. I'm wondering if there is a way to set the default Host to 'localhost' rather then '%' when a new DB is created?
Old 27th October 2008, 21:06
Super Moderator

The MySQL manual explains the access denied as follows:

http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.1/...ss-denied.html

"If you cannot figure out why you get Access denied, remove from the user table all entries that have Host values containing wildcards (entries that contain “%” or “_”). A very common error is to insert a new entry with Host='%' and User='some_user', thinking that this allows you to specify localhost to connect from the same machine. The reason that this does not work is that the default privileges include an entry with Host='localhost' and User=''. Because that entry has a Host value 'localhost' that is more specific than '%', it is used in preference to the new entry when connecting from localhost! The correct procedure is to insert a second entry with Host='localhost' and User='some_user', or to delete the entry with Host='localhost' and User=''. After deleting the entry, remember to issue a FLUSH PRIVILEGES statement to reload the grant tables."

So there are two solutions:

1) The recommended: If you want to connect to a database from localhost, do not enable the "Remote access" checkbox in ISPConfig.
2) If you need to access the database from localhost and remotely, simply delete the record in the mysql.user table where host = localhost and username empty:

DELETE FROM mysql.user WHERE Host = 'localhost' AND User = '';
Old 28th October 2008, 14:45

Thanks again Till.
Old 16th November 2008, 15:51

Q: Will transition from ISPConfig 2 to ISPConfig 3 be easy? (integrated in installation procedure or something else like script)
Old 16th November 2008, 15:58
Super Moderator

There will be no direct upgrade option from ispconfig2 to 3 as ispconfig 3 can not be installed on a server that is configured for ispconfig 2 (different system requirements). We will provide some kind of import whizard later that is able to import the settings from an existing ispconfig2 server to a new ispconfig 3 server.
Old 17th November 2008, 19:28

So upgrade will require to:
1) modify current server configuration according to ISPConfig 3 requirements (removing of some components and adding others)
2) uninstall ISPConfig 2
3) install ISPConfig 3
4) import Wizard

What will be the reasons for upgrade to ISPConfig3?
What new features will ISPConfig 3 have?
Old 17th November 2008, 23:20
Super Moderator

Most likely you will not be able upgrade this way because the configuartion of the software packages is not recovered when you just reinstall them. You will need either a new server or format the old server.

Quote:
What will be the reasons for upgrade to ISPConfig3?
There is no reason to upgrade to ISPConfig 3 if you are satisfied with ISPConfig 2. ISPConfig 3 is a control panel developed to manage multiple servers with virtual users and it is no replacement for ISPConfig 2 as it has a different philosophy in configuring the services.

Quote:
What new features will ISPConfig 3 have?
There is no feature list yet. Please take a look at the development forum and the ispconfig 3 posts in the other forums here at howtoforge were several aspects of ISPConfig 3 are discussed.