Go Back   HowtoForge Forums | HowtoForge - Linux Howtos and Tutorials > Linux Forums > Server Operation

Do you like HowtoForge? Please consider supporting us by becoming a subscriber.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 18th July 2008, 15:17

Default Postfix doesn't connect to telnet

Hi all. First of all, thanks to Falko for his tutorials.
I have a system prepared for run as a generic Web Server. I use Debian Etch as OS and I've already installed all things necessaries (Apache Webserver, Php, MySQL, etc...).
All works so good, except Postfix, I don't be succesful to start it.
I follow these two tutorials:
1) The Perfect Setup;
2) Virtual Users And Domains With Postfix, Courier and MySQL.

Following this tutorials, all is ok and I'm able to get all the services started. For example, if I launch /etc/init.d/postfix start, it starts and looks ok.
So it doesn't work, and if I launch "telnet localhost 25", this is the response:
Code:
# telnet localhost 25
Trying 127.0.0.1...
Connected to localhost.localdomain.
Escape character is '^]'.
And nothing else matters.
All the other things in the 2nd tutorial are good and work fine.
I don't know what's wrong. Maybe I failed to write "server1.example.com", I wrote in all "hostname.dyndns.org", where hostname is my real hostname, obviously.
So, what is my wrongs? If necessary, I can post other, for example a configuration file, if you want to take a look.
I repeat: all the processes start good, following the 2nd tutorial I've problems only in the final command, when I must to launch telnet for testing the correct status.

I want to say thanks in advance for your support, and say sorry if my English is not perfect, cause I come from Italy.
Sponsored Links