Go Back   HowtoForge Forums | HowtoForge - Linux Howtos and Tutorials > Linux Forums > HOWTO-Related Questions

Do you like HowtoForge? Please consider supporting us by becoming a subscriber.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12th June 2008, 00:31

Default Update Manager sleeping in Ubuntu 8.04

I upgraded my ubuntu system two weeks ago (AMD64) from 7 to 8.04. After the upgrade (successful) I noticed the update manager seemed to hit an infinite loop while preparing to download automatic updates. After a reboot it worked normally and updated my system.

The next time automatic updates were available, update manager seemed to hit the infinite loop again before downloading any updates. I checked the process in system monitor and update manager was sleeping. I rebooted, but the problem has persisted and update manager starts normally but never gets around to downloading updates or updating my system. It has been several days and I now have 70+ updates waiting for download and install but update manager continues to sleep rather than download files and update my system.

Most recently I get the error message "Not all updates can be installed" with the option to do a partial upgrade. Clicking on 'partial upgrade' closes the dialog box and nothing else happens.

Any thoughts on how to get back to normal automatic updating?
Sponsored Links