Go Back   HowtoForge Forums | HowtoForge - Linux Howtos and Tutorials > Linux Forums > Server Operation

Do you like HowtoForge? Please consider supporting us by becoming a subscriber.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10th May 2008, 07:48

Default Running Webalizer with runstats

Hi all,

I'm trying to configure an out-of-the-box CentOS VPS. Originally it had apache logs rotating with logrotate on a monthly basis, which ended up being rather too long, as my domlogs tend to hit 2GB in about 4 days. I cranked it down to daily, which has 'fixed' the problem, but necessitates a restart of apache nightly, which kind of sucks.

So, I'd like to switch over to piped logs. That's fine, but I want to make sure Webalizer keeps grabbing the log data properly. First step is to figure out how it works now. As far as I can tell, webalizer is being called from a binary file called 'runstats', which resides in /etc/cron.daily/. So it's called daily, and its also called by logrotate, immediately prior to log rotation (also now daily). Anyway. I can't find any domain-specific conf files for webalizer, and the default webalizer.conf doesn't have any non-default settings in it, so I can only assume that things like the output directories for webalizer stats are set by this runstats file. Because it's binary though, I can't see what it's doing. I also can't find a configuration file for it, a man page, anything on google that describes its operation... anything.

And so I turn to you...

---------------------------------
If it helps, this is for www.craigshelper.com and www.hankshelper.com. Sooo if you like my sites, please lend a hand..

-Nathan
Sponsored Links