Go Back   HowtoForge Forums | HowtoForge - Linux Howtos and Tutorials > ISPConfig 2 > Installation/Configuration

Do you like HowtoForge? Please consider supporting us by becoming a subscriber.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 8th May 2008, 20:19

Default DNS confusion and setting up subdomains on ISPConfig on Ubuntu 6.06

OK,

I hate to bother people who have more important things to do than help me, BUT.... After several days and countless pages of information I am at the end of my brain power!

I followed the HowTo: "The Perfect Setup - Ubuntu 6.06 LTS Server" and with a little help from Falko, I got my server up and running nicely. I then installed ISPConfig without any problems and spent some time getting comfortable with the workings of it.

Now here is my problem:
My goal is to host several websites that I have personally as well as 1 or 2 small sites for some friends. So I registered a domain name with Yahoo (wctahosting.com) and would like to set up subdomains from it.

I have a router which contains all the static ip address information including the primary and secondary DNS addresses. I have forwarded all the ports that I need (as far as I know) to my server.

Now I have discovered that DNS is a subject that I just can't seem to grasp, but I would like to. I looked in the control panel for my domain name and saw that I could put my IP address in the A records. I did this and now it points to my server and I am able to pull up a test site that I loaded on it successfully.

I am clueless after that.

I have no idea how to set up a subdomain for a second site.
I don't know what these Primary and Secondary DNS addresses are for or how to use them.
I have no idea what to use for the two nameservers on my Domain Name control panel.

I have read several HowTos that seemed like they were going to help but right at the point I was getting confused they seemed to stop explaining anything!

So basically I have two problems
1. How to set up the nameservers for my domain and on my server.
2. How to set up subdomains in ISPConfig.

Any help (Advice, links to good tutorials, etc) would be greatly appreciated!
Or you can tell me I'm crazy for even trying this and tell me to forget about it and I might just listen to you!!!

Anyway, thank you all in advance for any help you can offer!
Andy
Sponsored Links