Go Back   HowtoForge Forums | HowtoForge - Linux Howtos and Tutorials > ISPConfig 2 > Installation/Configuration

Do you like HowtoForge? Please consider supporting us by becoming a subscriber.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 17th January 2006, 23:06
deezone deezone is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 27
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Send a message via Yahoo to deezone
Question Is there a testing procedure for ISPConfig?

After having setup Ubuntu 5.10 using the ISP-Server Setup guide, I have ISPConfig 2.1.2 up and running. I've added Clients and Sites with no problem at all.

I just want to know if there is such a guide (step by step) to fully test the functionalities of ISPConfig before connecting it to the internet. I need a way to find out that I can send and receive email, access the user default website (and FTP), and be able to use the recommended webmail application which is UebiMiau.

On my current setup, the server is hooked up to an existing LAN and is using DHCP assigned IP address. The only way I can reach the ISPConfig website is by typing https://<assigned IP Address>:81/. After I have created a client and site; an account web1_test has been created for www.test.co.nz.

I tried to access the default user website by typing http://www.test.co.nz/users/web1_test but it came back with an error:

Object not found!
The requested URL was not found on this server. If you entered the URL manually please check your spelling and try again.

If you think this is a server error, please contact the webmaster.

Error 404
10.0.1.135
Wed Jan 18 10:00:56 2006
Apache/2.0.54 (Ubuntu) PHP/4.4.0-3ubuntu1 mod_ssl/2.0.54 OpenSSL/0.9.7g


I also tried http://<assigned IP Address/users/web1_test, I also get the same error.

Then moving on to the webmail by typing https://<assigned IP Address>:81/webmail/. I got the login page and then entered the username: web1_test and the password: it came back with:

You cannot login with the username and password entered.

Please check your username and password and try again.


The only thing that is accessible for web1_test user is the FTP site. By typing ftp://<assigned IP Address>/, then username: web1_test and password, it went straight to showing the FTP folders.

I have tried setting up ISPConfig before on a Fedora Core 3 (again following the ISP server Set-up). All installed well with no problem but I had the same user access problem with the Ubuntu set-up.

What I need is a recommeded network setup so I can initially test ISPConfig, like for example, a static IP is recommended, etc.

So, anyone who can shed some light, please, I really want to get this system up and running.

Cheers

Last edited by deezone; 17th January 2006 at 23:14.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2  
Old 18th January 2006, 05:07
godzookee godzookee is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Australia
Posts: 2
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Testing ISPconfig

I am having the same problem I can get FTP to work and mail works localy (I believe this is due to Dynamic DNS atm) but I too cannot get webpages to load I keep getting a 404 error.

No changes have been made to the system outside of the Tutorial except to create client and site.

Ideas?
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 18th January 2006, 06:02
falko falko is offline
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Lüneburg, Germany
Posts: 41,701
Thanks: 1,900
Thanked 2,735 Times in 2,571 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by deezone
On my current setup, the server is hooked up to an existing LAN and is using DHCP assigned IP address. The only way I can reach the ISPConfig website is by typing https://<assigned IP Address>:81/. After I have created a client and site; an account web1_test has been created for www.test.co.nz.
Normally, you give a server a static IP address, but if you know which IP address has been assigned to your server by the router, then it's ok, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deezone
I tried to access the default user website by typing http://www.test.co.nz/users/web1_test but it came back with an error:

Object not found!
The requested URL was not found on this server. If you entered the URL manually please check your spelling and try again.

If you think this is a server error, please contact the webmaster.

Error 404
10.0.1.135
Wed Jan 18 10:00:56 2006
Apache/2.0.54 (Ubuntu) PHP/4.4.0-3ubuntu1 mod_ssl/2.0.54 OpenSSL/0.9.7g


I also tried http://<assigned IP Address/users/web1_test, I also get the same error.
Normally, both http://www.test.co.nz/~web1_test/ and http://www.test.co.nz/users/web1_test/ should work.

Did you change the hosts file on your client so that it knows that www.terst.co.nz should point to your internal server, and not to a server out in the internet?
http://www.howtoforge.com/forums/sho...24&postcount=3

Quote:
Originally Posted by deezone
Then moving on to the webmail by typing https://<assigned IP Address>:81/webmail/. I got the login page and then entered the username: web1_test and the password: it came back with:

You cannot login with the username and password entered.

Please check your username and password and try again.
It is possible that you have to send an email to that user first so that his Maildir/mbox is created.
Which POP3/IMAP daemon do you use? Did you enable/disable Maildir under Management -> Server -> Settings -> Email?
__________________
Falko
--
Download the ISPConfig 3 Manual! | Check out the ISPConfig 3 Billing Module!

FB: http://www.facebook.com/howtoforge

nginx-Webhosting: Timme Hosting | Follow me on:
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 18th January 2006, 10:29
godzookee godzookee is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Australia
Posts: 2
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

I have checked my hosts file and all is in order.

I did attemt to use lynx localy using the local IP and all I can get the pages advising of a shared IP no usernames will work.

Wierd huh?
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 18th January 2006, 10:44
deezone deezone is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 27
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Send a message via Yahoo to deezone
Default

I'm using courier POP3/IMAP (Maildir is ticked). I was able to login to UebiMiau now by using the email address instead of the actual username. i.e. in the username field I entered web1_test@test.co.nz and then the same password, Voila I'm in. Now there's an odd behavior though, when I'm sending emails to my exchange server (i.e. my email account), the first email I sent went through instantly. After that I quickly followed it with another email, It never went through. I tried restarting the postfix service and then did another test. First email went through but the succeeding emails didn't.

Any ideas?

Last edited by deezone; 18th January 2006 at 10:52.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 18th January 2006, 12:57
till till is offline
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Lüneburg, Germany
Posts: 35,504
Thanks: 813
Thanked 5,265 Times in 4,129 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by deezone
I'm using courier POP3/IMAP (Maildir is ticked). I was able to login to UebiMiau now by using the email address instead of the actual username. i.e. in the username field I entered web1_test@test.co.nz and then the same password, Voila I'm in. Now there's an odd behavior though, when I'm sending emails to my exchange server (i.e. my email account), the first email I sent went through instantly. After that I quickly followed it with another email, It never went through. I tried restarting the postfix service and then did another test. First email went through but the succeeding emails didn't.

Any ideas?
Please post the output of your mail log for first and second email.
__________________
Till Brehm
--
Get ISPConfig support and the ISPConfig 3 manual from ispconfig.org.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 18th January 2006, 17:32
falko falko is offline
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Lüneburg, Germany
Posts: 41,701
Thanks: 1,900
Thanked 2,735 Times in 2,571 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by godzookee
I did attemt to use lynx localy using the local IP and all I can get the pages advising of a shared IP no usernames will work.
That's exactly what the Shared-IP page is telling you. If you want to see the correct web site, use its FQDN, e.g. www.example.com, but not an IP address. The vhosts are name-based, not IP-based.
__________________
Falko
--
Download the ISPConfig 3 Manual! | Check out the ISPConfig 3 Billing Module!

FB: http://www.facebook.com/howtoforge

nginx-Webhosting: Timme Hosting | Follow me on:
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 18th January 2006, 20:43
deezone deezone is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 27
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Send a message via Yahoo to deezone
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by till
Please post the output of your mail log for first and second email.
Jan 19 08:38:19 ubuntu postfix/smtpd[10262]: connect from localhost.localdomain[127.0.0.1] Jan 19 08:38:19 ubuntu postfix/smtpd[10262]: 0539713F5D:
client=localhost.localdomain[127.0.0.1]
Jan 19 08:38:19 ubuntu postfix/cleanup[10266]: 0539713F5D:
message-id=<20060118193819.0539713F5D@localhost>
Jan 19 08:38:19 ubuntu postfix/qmgr[9094]: 0539713F5D:
from=<mdavid@ourstuff.co.nz>, size=742, nrcpt=3 (queue active) Jan 19 08:38:19 ubuntu postfix/smtpd[10262]: disconnect from localhost.localdomain[127.0.0.1] Jan 19 08:38:19 ubuntu courierpop3login: Connection, ip=[::ffff:127.0.0.1] Jan 19 08:38:19 ubuntu courierpop3login: LOGIN, user=mdavid, ip=[::ffff:127.0.0.1] Jan 19 08:38:19 ubuntu courierpop3login: LOGOUT, user=mdavid, ip=[::ffff:127.0.0.1], top=0, retr=0, time=0 Jan 19 08:38:19 ubuntu postfix/smtp[10318]: connect to
mpdc.govt.nz[10.0.2.4]: Network is unreachable (port 25) Jan 19 08:38:19 ubuntu postfix/smtp[10318]: connect to
mpdc.govt.nz[10.0.6.4]: Network is unreachable (port 25) Jan 19 08:38:19 ubuntu postfix/smtp[10318]: connect to
mpdc.govt.nz[10.0.3.4]: Network is unreachable (port 25) Jan 19 08:38:19 ubuntu postfix/smtp[10322]: 0539713F5D:
to=<mdavid@ubuntu.webdeezsign.co.nz>, orig_to=<mdavid@ourstuff.co.nz>, relay=none, delay=0, status=bounced (Host or domain name not found. Name service error for name=ubuntu.webdeezsign.co.nz type=A: Host not found) Jan 19 08:38:19 ubuntu postfix/smtp[10268]: connect to
gmail-smtp-in.l.google.com[72.14.205.27]: Network is unreachable (port 25) Jan 19 08:38:19 ubuntu postfix/smtp[10268]: connect to
gsmtp185.google.com[64.233.185.27]: Network is unreachable (port 25) Jan 19 08:38:19 ubuntu postfix/smtp[10268]: connect to
gsmtp163.google.com[64.233.163.27]: Network is unreachable (port 25) Jan 19 08:38:19 ubuntu postfix/smtp[10268]: connect to
gsmtp83.google.com[66.249.83.27]: Network is unreachable (port 25) Jan 19 08:38:19 ubuntu postfix/smtp[10268]: connect to
gsmtp185-2.google.com[64.233.185.114]: Network is unreachable (port 25) Jan 19 08:38:19 ubuntu postfix/smtp[10268]: connect to
gsmtp83-2.google.com[66.249.83.114]: Network is unreachable (port 25) Jan 19 08:38:19 ubuntu postfix/smtp[10268]: 0539713F5D:
to=<michael.david.nz@gmail.com>, relay=none, delay=0, status=deferred (connect to gsmtp83-2.google.com[66.249.83.114]: Network is unreachable) Jan 19 08:38:19 ubuntu postfix/smtp[10318]: 0539713F5D:
to=<mdavid@mpdc.govt.nz>, relay=mpdc.govt.nz[10.0.1.11], delay=0, status=sent (250 2.6.0 <20060118193819.0539713F5D@localhost> Queued mail for delivery) Jan 19 08:38:19 ubuntu postfix/cleanup[10266]: 5B97D13F62:
message-id=<20060118193819.5B97D13F62@localhost>
Jan 19 08:38:19 ubuntu postfix/qmgr[9094]: 5B97D13F62: from=<>, size=2691,
nrcpt=1 (queue active)
Jan 19 08:38:19 ubuntu postfix/smtp[10322]: 5B97D13F62:
to=<mdavid@ubuntu.webdeezsign.co.nz>, orig_to=<mdavid@ourstuff.co.nz>, relay=none, delay=0, status=bounced (Host or domain name not found. Name service error for name=ubuntu.webdeezsign.co.nz type=A: Host not found) Jan 19 08:38:19 ubuntu postfix/qmgr[9094]: 5B97D13F62: removed

________________________________

I can now send emails to my MS Exchange account (on the same LAN) but can't seem to send email to myself (loop back) or even to an internet mail account.

Last edited by deezone; 18th January 2006 at 23:47.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 19th January 2006, 00:00
deezone deezone is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 27
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Send a message via Yahoo to deezone
Default User website

I made an entry to remote PC host file for the website ourstuff.co.nz as suggested in this thread. The following are the results:

When I typed the address http://ourstuff.co.nz/

HTML Code:
Welcome to www.ourstuff.co.nz!  

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 



This is the standard index of your website. You can easily delete it or replace it with another file. This is the index.html file in the web directory. 
For questions or problems please contact the server administrator. 
 
When I typed http://ourstuff.co.nz/mdavid/


HTML Code:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
404 Error - File not found! 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 




The following error occurred:
 
The requested URL was not found on this server. 
Please check the URL or contact the Webmaster. 




--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

powered by ISPConfig
When I typed http://ourstuff.co.nz/users/mdavid/

HTML Code:
Welcome to your website! 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 



This is the default index page for user mdavid. This file may be deleted or overwritten without any difficulty. This is produced by the file index.html in the directory user/mdavid/web. 
For questions or problems please contact the server administrator. 




--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

powered by ISPConfig  
*************************
Is there a way to simplify the url to http://ourstuff.co.nz/mdavid/ ?
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 19th January 2006, 07:20
falko falko is offline
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Lüneburg, Germany
Posts: 41,701
Thanks: 1,900
Thanked 2,735 Times in 2,571 Posts
 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by deezone
Jan 19 08:38:19 ubuntu postfix/smtp[10322]: 0539713F5D:
to=<mdavid@ubuntu.webdeezsign.co.nz>, orig_to=<mdavid@ourstuff.co.nz>, relay=none, delay=0, status=bounced (Host or domain name not found. Name service error for name=ubuntu.webdeezsign.co.nz type=A: Host not found)
You must create an A record in DNS for ubuntu.webdeezsign.co.nz that points to your public IP address.

Quote:
Is there a way to simplify the url to http://ourstuff.co.nz/mdavid/ ?
Have a look at section 2.2.9 here: http://www.ispconfig.org/downloads/m..._src.htm#4_2_2
__________________
Falko
--
Download the ISPConfig 3 Manual! | Check out the ISPConfig 3 Billing Module!

FB: http://www.facebook.com/howtoforge

nginx-Webhosting: Timme Hosting | Follow me on:
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
testing web site by its external ip address rosa hsiao General 9 12th January 2006 21:32


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 01:03.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.