Go Back   HowtoForge Forums | HowtoForge - Linux Howtos and Tutorials > Linux Forums > HOWTO-Related Questions

Do you like HowtoForge? Please consider supporting us by becoming a subscriber.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 18th February 2008, 22:24

Default Saving data on other disk with 天irtual Hosting With PureFTPd And MySQL Ubuntu 7.10"

Hi,

I知 trying to create a ftp server with 500 gb of storage. And my goal was to keep the costs down, so I gathered computer components from all over the house. I found an old Compaq motherboard, 256 mb ram and a Pentium 3 Cpu (500 mhz). I wanted to test this setup first on a 6.5 gb disk before I went and bought the 500 gb I put in later. The disk I bought is a sata2 disk from Hitachi. Of course my computer doesn稚 have any sata connectors so I bougt a sata controller pci card from sitecom. With this sata controller this disk is not bootable so I wil have to install ubuntu on my 6.5 gb disk and store all the data on my 500 gb disk. This is no problem of course, but it poses some challenges.

I followed this tutorial: 天irtual Hosting With PureFTPd And MySQL (Incl. Quota And Bandwidth Management) On Ubuntu 7.10 (Gutsy Gibbon)

This works when I store my data on the 6.5 gb disk. (in the folder /home/test). But now I want to change this so it will store all ftp data on the 500 gb disk.

First of all, the 500 gb disk doesn稚 have a partition yet, and I don稚 have clue how to partition it with ubuntu. I googled around a little bit but couldn稚 find how I can do this. There is one thing about this question I do know, there are going to be large files on the disk, so Fat isn稚 an option.

And last but not least, how can I make the current installation of ubuntu refer to my 500 gb disk? So I can store my data there.

Thanks for reading (and answering )

Bye,

Yorick
Sponsored Links