#1  
Old 7th January 2007, 19:58
Mathias Mathias is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 39
Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Firewall block emails

Hi

I got a Debian server installed with The Perfect Setup - Debian but I can't connect to my MailServer on it .

When I telnet it I get this informations:

Klippinge-IT:~# telnet 83.95.198.14 110

Klippinge-IT:~# telnet 83.95.198.14 110
Trying 83.95.198.14...
Connected to 83.95.198.14.
Escape character is '^]'.
+OK Hello there.
quit
+OK Better luck next time.
Connection closed by foreign host.
Klippinge-IT:~#

IPTables says:
Chain INPUT (policy ACCEPT)
target prot opt source destination

Chain FORWARD (policy ACCEPT)
target prot opt source destination

Chain OUTPUT (policy ACCEPT)
target prot opt source destination
Edit/Delete Message


How does I get my desktop firewall disables or get it to allow my emails?

Best Regards
Mathias
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2  
Old 7th January 2007, 20:08
martinfst martinfst is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Hilversum, The Netherlands
Posts: 880
Thanks: 1
Thanked 18 Times in 17 Posts
Send a message via MSN to martinfst Send a message via Skype™ to martinfst
Default

Although you seem not to have setup a firewall, a test from my site gives:
Quote:
~$ telnet 83.95.198.14 110
Trying 83.95.198.14...
telnet: Unable to connect to remote host: Connection refused
Connection refused is normally a sign of a firewall somewhere between the internet and your server. If you logon to your server, can you do the telnet locally?
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 7th January 2007, 20:27
Mathias Mathias is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 39
Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinfst
Although you seem not to have setup a firewall, a test from my site gives:
Connection refused is normally a sign of a firewall somewhere between the internet and your server. If you logon to your server, can you do the telnet locally?
I have just looked on the server, my mistake it have changed IP to: 87.52.126.13
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 7th January 2007, 20:47
martinfst martinfst is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Hilversum, The Netherlands
Posts: 880
Thanks: 1
Thanked 18 Times in 17 Posts
Send a message via MSN to martinfst Send a message via Skype™ to martinfst
Default

A quick test gives an expected result.
Code:
~$ telnet 87.52.126.13 110
Trying 87.52.126.13...
Connected to 87.52.126.13.
Escape character is '^]'.
+OK Hello there.
user test
+OK Password required.
password hello
-ERR Invalid command.
user test
+OK Password required.
pass hallo
-ERR Login failed.
All the + and - responses are from your server and you should probably see in your logfiles me testing. You can do more tests yourself by using a valid user name on your system and follow a procedure like:
Code:
Type: user "username"
Type: pass "password"
Type: list
You will then get a list over the mails in your mailbox
Type: retr "mailnumber"
You will then see the mail with the mail number
End the session by typing "Quit"
Mind you, that you have a little amount of time before the POP3 server gives up (around 5 seconds, so be prepared and type quickly)
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 7th January 2007, 20:56
Mathias Mathias is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 39
Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinfst
A quick test gives an expected result.
Code:
~$ telnet 87.52.126.13 110
Trying 87.52.126.13...
Connected to 87.52.126.13.
Escape character is '^]'.
+OK Hello there.
user test
+OK Password required.
password hello
-ERR Invalid command.
user test
+OK Password required.
pass hallo
-ERR Login failed.
All the + and - responses are from your server and you should probably see in your logfiles me testing. You can do more tests yourself by using a valid user name on your system and follow a procedure like:
Code:
Type: user "username"
Type: pass "password"
Type: list
You will then get a list over the mails in your mailbox
Type: retr "mailnumber"
You will then see the mail with the mail number
End the session by typing "Quit"
Mind you, that you have a little amount of time before the POP3 server gives up (around 5 seconds, so be prepared and type quickly)
Dear Martin

It dosen't solve my problem with my firewall or something like that.

Best Regards
Mathias
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 7th January 2007, 21:02
martinfst martinfst is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Hilversum, The Netherlands
Posts: 880
Thanks: 1
Thanked 18 Times in 17 Posts
Send a message via MSN to martinfst Send a message via Skype™ to martinfst
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathias
It dosen't solve my problem with my firewall or something like that.
Oke, but it's no firewall problem on your server. That one is fine. So you should look at your client or router to check what blocks your traffic.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
High Availability (Load Balancing) behind a firewall geek.de.nz Server Operation 7 4th January 2011 13:58
configuring IPTABLES firewall adityavpratap HOWTO-Related Questions 9 27th May 2006 21:42
Firewall script ColdDoT Server Operation 1 8th May 2006 23:50
Cannot receive emails skeeta Installation/Configuration 18 22nd April 2006 16:02
I need a suitable firewall. agul Server Operation 4 23rd November 2005 00:12


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 21:04.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.