Go Back   HowtoForge Forums | HowtoForge - Linux Howtos and Tutorials > Linux Forums > HOWTO-Related Questions

Do you like HowtoForge? Please consider supporting us by becoming a subscriber.

Old 11th December 2006, 15:17

Default The Perfect Server - Ubuntu 6.10 (Edgy Eft): sasl issues after power outage

Hopefully someone can help me here; I had a working server setup as per the Ubuntu 6.10 guide here (and thank you for an excellent guide, btw) but apparently there was a power outage here in the area (again) and now I'm unable to send mail; the error that comes up in /var/log/syslog is:

Quote:
warning: SASL authentication failure: cannot connect to saslauthd server: No such file or directory
warning: SASL authentication failure: Password verification failed
After a little searching through the forums I've determined that saslauthd isn't running (configs point to the correct dir and the dir exists, but no .pid file (or anything else in that dir for that matter), and no saslauthd listing in 'ps aux'), and since it was working up until the power outage my guess is there's a corrupt file or two somewhere, but I'm not sure how to go about troubleshooting from this point -- I thought about just "apt-get remove saslauthd" and just reinstalling it but apparently the ubuntu newbie in me kicked in at that point: saslauthd is part of another package or else I'm just typing it wrong.

If anyone has any ideas it'd be greatly appreciated!

On an unrelated note: can anyone tell me why every time we have a half second power outage here all of my machines -- even the m0n0wall setup on the *exact* same hardware setup as my ubuntu box -- seem to be fine, but the linux box seems to always be affected *and* messed up in some way (and before someone mentions it yes: I will be going out to get a UPS today, thank you!)?
Sponsored Links
Old 12th December 2006, 14:21
Super Moderator

Thanked 2,741 Times in 2,575 Posts

Please try
Code:
/etc/init.d/saslauthd restart
Quote:
On an unrelated note: can anyone tell me why every time we have a half second power outage here all of my machines -- even the m0n0wall setup on the *exact* same hardware setup as my ubuntu box -- seem to be fine, but the linux box seems to always be affected *and* messed up in some way (and before someone mentions it yes: I will be going out to get a UPS today, thank you!)?
I don't know. I've never had such a problem.

FB: http://www.facebook.com/howtoforge

nginx-Webhosting: Timme Hosting | Follow me on:
Old 12th December 2006, 17:57

Default Actually...

That was one of the first things I tried. I'm not new to Linux totally; just this particular distro (Ubuntu; used to use Gentoo) and unfortunately I've never had to troubleshoot sasl issues before.

Any idea what saslauthd is part of (postfix, cyrus, etc.) so I can see about reinstalling it? I'm not in dire straits at the moment since I have a back up VMWare image I've switched over to for now, but I'd like to get this fixed if for no other reason than I'm a tech and it's going to eat at me until I figure it out
Old 13th December 2006, 14:31
Super Moderator

What's the output of
Code:
ps aux|grep sasl
? What's in /etc/default/saslauthd and /etc/init.d/saslauthd? What's the output of
Code:
ls -la /var/spool/postfix/var/run/saslauthd
?

Old 13th December 2006, 15:28

Unhappy Ask and ye shall recieve...

output of ps aux|grep sasl:

Quote:
root 20180 0.0 0.1 2800 724 pts/2 S+ 09:24 0:00 grep sasl

output of ls -la /var/spool/postfix/var/run/saslauthd:

Quote:
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 2006-12-09 11:47 .
drwxr-xr-x 3 root root 4096 2006-12-09 11:47 ..
I'm about ready to just back up the database, wipe the machine, and start from scratch (kind of sucks, though--I was hoping to figure this out)
Old 14th December 2006, 20:29
Super Moderator

saslauthd isn't running. What's in /etc/default/saslauthd and /etc/init.d/saslauthd?