Go Back   HowtoForge Forums | HowtoForge - Linux Howtos and Tutorials > Linux Forums > Installation/Configuration

Do you like HowtoForge? Please consider supporting us by becoming a subscriber.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 30th November 2006, 17:29
Linocks Linocks is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Cambs. UK
Posts: 61
Thanks: 3
Thanked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Question The Perfect Setup - Ubuntu 6.10 Server (Edgy Eft) - Page 6

I am going through the above install got this message : -

Code:
root@web:/etc/postfix/ssl# apt-get install proftpd proftpd-common ucf
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Package proftpd-common is a virtual package provided by:
  proftpd 1.3.0-9ubuntu0.1
You should explicitly select one to install.
E: Package proftpd-common has no installation candidate
root@web:/etc/postfix/ssl#
It is not what I expected.

I have also in my haste added the below commands not realising that I didn't have to do it because I intend to install ISPConfig.

Code:
postconf -e 'home_mailbox = Maildir/'
postconf -e 'mailbox_command ='
/etc/init.d/postfix restart
Do I need to rectify this & if so how do I do it.

I was so pleased that my installation appeared to be going well up to this point.

Thanks !!

PS - I will be away for a couple of days!!
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2  
Old 30th November 2006, 21:09
marinedalek marinedalek is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 2
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

I've had the same error a few minutes ago. Ran through the install the other day and it didn't happen. Is the relevant server/file down?
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 1st December 2006, 00:51
marinedalek marinedalek is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 2
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

For the moment I'd just use
Code:
apt-get install proftpd
That seems to get the latest version. If not, it's only a few hours work to start the install from scratch if needs be.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 1st December 2006, 06:08
pyropoptrt pyropoptrt is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Jackson, MS, USA
Posts: 32
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via AIM to pyropoptrt Send a message via Yahoo to pyropoptrt
Default

When trying to install proftpd I get the following error (I also get the same error trying to install courier). I have not touched my sources.list (nor do I know how to access it)

Code:
apt-get install proftpd
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
E: Couldn't find package proftpd
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 1st December 2006, 07:01
pyropoptrt pyropoptrt is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Jackson, MS, USA
Posts: 32
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via AIM to pyropoptrt Send a message via Yahoo to pyropoptrt
Default

nm on my above reply. I google sources.list and uncommented all the other servers and I was able to find proftpd and courier. Both are installed now without any problems
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 1st December 2006, 16:11
falko falko is offline
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Lüneburg, Germany
Posts: 41,701
Thanks: 1,900
Thanked 2,739 Times in 2,574 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyropoptrt
When trying to install proftpd I get the following error (I also get the same error trying to install courier). I have not touched my sources.list (nor do I know how to access it)

Code:
apt-get install proftpd
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
E: Couldn't find package proftpd
Run
Code:
apt-get update
to update your package database.
__________________
Falko
--
Download the ISPConfig 3 Manual! | Check out the ISPConfig 3 Billing Module!

FB: http://www.facebook.com/howtoforge

nginx-Webhosting: Timme Hosting | Follow me on:
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 23rd June 2008, 05:31
ko2qrunch ko2qrunch is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 1
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by falko View Post
Run
Code:
apt-get update
to update your package database.
Hi. I'm in Indonesia,
I'm newbie in linux os, i try like what u say but i found in the last like this
E: Some index files failed to download, they have been ignored, or old ones used instead.

what should I do ?

thanx
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 1st December 2006, 16:13
falko falko is offline
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Lüneburg, Germany
Posts: 41,701
Thanks: 1,900
Thanked 2,739 Times in 2,574 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linocks
I am going through the above install got this message : -

Code:
root@web:/etc/postfix/ssl# apt-get install proftpd proftpd-common ucf
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Package proftpd-common is a virtual package provided by:
  proftpd 1.3.0-9ubuntu0.1
You should explicitly select one to install.
E: Package proftpd-common has no installation candidate
root@web:/etc/postfix/ssl#
It is not what I expected.
There was a bug in old Proftpd packages. I think they created a new one that conatains everything you need, and therefore proftpd-common doesn't exist anymore. Just install the package proftpd.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linocks
I have also in my haste added the below commands not realising that I didn't have to do it because I intend to install ISPConfig.

Code:
postconf -e 'home_mailbox = Maildir/'
postconf -e 'mailbox_command ='
/etc/init.d/postfix restart
Do I need to rectify this & if so how do I do it.
You can leave it as it is. It's no problem.
__________________
Falko
--
Download the ISPConfig 3 Manual! | Check out the ISPConfig 3 Billing Module!

FB: http://www.facebook.com/howtoforge

nginx-Webhosting: Timme Hosting | Follow me on:
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 3rd December 2006, 17:29
Linocks Linocks is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Cambs. UK
Posts: 61
Thanks: 3
Thanked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Post The Perfect Setup - Ubuntu 6.10 Server (Edgy Eft) - Page 7 : Item 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by falko
There was a bug in old Proftpd packages. I think they created a new one that conatains everything you need, and therefore proftpd-common doesn't exist anymore. Just install the package proftpd.
I did that & it worked! Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by falko
You can leave it as it is. It's no problem.
Thanks again! I find comfort with that knowledge.

I then got to installing ISPConfig but that failed.

See attached output!!

What went wrong?
Attached Files
File Type: txt ISPConfig.txt (8.9 KB, 315 views)
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 4th December 2006, 13:02
falko falko is offline
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Lüneburg, Germany
Posts: 41,701
Thanks: 1,900
Thanked 2,739 Times in 2,574 Posts
Default

Please install g++:
Code:
apt-get install g++
__________________
Falko
--
Download the ISPConfig 3 Manual! | Check out the ISPConfig 3 Billing Module!

FB: http://www.facebook.com/howtoforge

nginx-Webhosting: Timme Hosting | Follow me on:
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Statistic not working mzo Installation/Configuration 49 20th April 2011 12:19
The Perfect Setup - Ubuntu 6.10 Server Question n74jw HOWTO-Related Questions 5 27th January 2008 12:14
NEEDED : Ubuntu 6.10 (Edgy Eft) ISP Server Setup with DTC (v 0.24.2.0) tyranno Suggest HOWTO 3 31st October 2006 23:58
Webmail Relay Error palkat General 17 23rd April 2006 18:12
SP-Server Setup - Ubuntu 5.10 "Breezy Badger" - Page 6 (changes) LuisC-SM HOWTO-Related Questions 0 21st April 2006 15:16


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 10:17.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.