Go Back   HowtoForge Forums | HowtoForge - Linux Howtos and Tutorials > Linux Forums > Installation/Configuration

Do you like HowtoForge? Please consider supporting us by becoming a subscriber.

Old 22nd November 2006, 00:45

Default VMWare Server for Ubuntu Edgy Eft - Problems

I'm a linux newbie - running Ubuntu Edgy Eft on a Dell C800 Laptop - it works fine.

I'd very much like to install Windows XP on that machine in a VMWare server, but am having difficulties (I had no problem getting Ubuntu running under VMware server on another XP machine).

I tried to follow the procedures in the post:
http://www.howtoforge.com/ubuntu_vmware_server
but ran into problems. I followed the main post down to step 2 where it wanted me to:

apt-get install gcc binutils-doc cpp-doc make manpages-dev autoconf automake1.9 libtool flex bison gdb gcc-doc gcc-4.0-doc libc6-dev-amd64 lib64gcc1

When I saw that I stopped because I don't have a 64-bit processor and feared that I'd be fouling things up.

I then looked down the page and saw the apparently simpler procedure of downloading the rpm and converting it via Alien.
I did that and all seemed to go well

I ran vmware-config.pl with some errors (below) and found that VMWare Server Console was installed in Applications|System Tools. When I attempted to run it, nothing happened.

I reran vmware-config.pl and copied the errors I found (below).

Can someone help me figure out what to do. I can see either:

1) fixing whatever I didn't do on this install OR
2) Starting from scratch again, with the right references in that complex line above - what would they be.

Thanks for whatever help you can give.

Jim Mitchell

********** Excerpted Errors
In which directory do you want to install the application's icon?
[/usr/share/pixmaps]

/usr/share/applications/vmware-server.desktop: error: Categories values must be one of "Core", "Development", "Building", "Debugger", "IDE", "GUIDesigner", "Profiling", "RevisionControl", "Translation", "Office", "Calendar", "ContactManagement", "Database", "Dictionary", "Chart", "Email", "Finance", "FlowChart", "PDA", "ProjectManagement", "Presentation", "Spreadsheet", "WordProcessor", "Graphics", "2DGraphics", "VectorGraphics", "RasterGraphics", "3DGraphics", "Scanning", "OCR", "Photography", "Viewer", "Settings", "DesktopSettings", "HardwareSettings", "PackageManager", "Network", "Dialup", "InstantMessaging", "IRCClient", "FileTransfer", "HamRadio", "News", "P2P", "RemoteAccess", "Telephony", "WebBrowser", "WebDevelopment", "AudioVideo", "Audio", "Midi", "Mixer", "Sequencer", "Tuner", "Video", "TV", "AudioVideoEditing", "Player", "Recorder", "DiscBurning", "Game", "ActionGame", "AdventureGame", "ArcadeGame", "BoardGame", "BlocksGame", "CardGame", "KidsGame", "LogicGame", "RolePlaying", "Simulation", "SportsGame", "StrategyGame", "Education", "Art", "Construction", "Music", "Languages", "Science", "Astronomy", "Biology", "Chemistry", "Geology", "Math", "MedicalSoftware", "Physics", "Teaching", "Amusement", "Applet", "Archiving", "Electronics", "Emulator", "Engineering", "FileManager", "Shell", "ScreenSaver", "TeminalEmulator", "TrayIcon", "System", "Filesystem", "Monitor", "Security", "Utility", "Accessibility", "Calculator", "Clock", "TextEditor", "KDE", "GNOME", "GTK", "Qt", "Motif", "Java", "ConsoleOnly" (found "Application")
desktop-file-install created an invalid desktop file!
Unable to install the .desktop menu entry file. You must add it to your menus
by hand.
/usr/share/applications/vmware-console-uri-handler.desktop: error: Categories values must be one of "Core", "Development", "Building", "Debugger", "IDE", "GUIDesigner", "Profiling", "RevisionControl", "Translation", "Office", "Calendar", "ContactManagement", "Database", "Dictionary", "Chart", "Email", "Finance", "FlowChart", "PDA", "ProjectManagement", "Presentation", "Spreadsheet", "WordProcessor", "Graphics", "2DGraphics", "VectorGraphics", "RasterGraphics", "3DGraphics", "Scanning", "OCR", "Photography", "Viewer", "Settings", "DesktopSettings", "HardwareSettings", "PackageManager", "Network", "Dialup", "InstantMessaging", "IRCClient", "FileTransfer", "HamRadio", "News", "P2P", "RemoteAccess", "Telephony", "WebBrowser", "WebDevelopment", "AudioVideo", "Audio", "Midi", "Mixer", "Sequencer", "Tuner", "Video", "TV", "AudioVideoEditing", "Player", "Recorder", "DiscBurning", "Game", "ActionGame", "AdventureGame", "ArcadeGame", "BoardGame", "BlocksGame", "CardGame", "KidsGame", "LogicGame", "RolePlaying", "Simulation", "SportsGame", "StrategyGame", "Education", "Art", "Construction", "Music", "Languages", "Science", "Astronomy", "Biology", "Chemistry", "Geology", "Math", "MedicalSoftware", "Physics", "Teaching", "Amusement", "Applet", "Archiving", "Electronics", "Emulator", "Engineering", "FileManager", "Shell", "ScreenSaver", "TeminalEmulator", "TrayIcon", "System", "Filesystem", "Monitor", "Security", "Utility", "Accessibility", "Calculator", "Clock", "TextEditor", "KDE", "GNOME", "GTK", "Qt", "Motif", "Java", "ConsoleOnly" (found "Application")
desktop-file-install created an invalid desktop file!
Unable to install the .desktop menu entry file. You must add it to your menus
by hand.
Trying to find a suitable vmmon module for your running kernel.

Using 2.6.x kernel build system.
make: Entering directory `/tmp/vmware-config0/vmnet-only'
make -C /lib/modules/2.6.17-10-386/build/include/.. SUBDIRS=$PWD SRCROOT=$PWD/. modules
make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux- headers-2.6.17-10-386'
CC [M] /tmp/vmware-config0/vmnet-only/driver.o
CC [M] /tmp/vmware-config0/vmnet-only/hub.o
CC [M] /tmp/vmware-config0/vmnet-only/userif.o
CC [M] /tmp/vmware-config0/vmnet-only/netif.o
CC [M] /tmp/vmware-config0/vmnet-only/bridge.o
CC [M] /tmp/vmware-config0/vmnet-only/procfs.o
CC [M] /tmp/vmware-config0/vmnet-only/smac_compat.o
SHIPPED /tmp/vmware-config0/vmnet-only/smac_linux.x386.o
LD [M] /tmp/vmware-config0/vmnet-only/vmnet.o
Building modules, stage 2.
MODPOST
WARNING: could not find /tmp/vmware-config0/vmnet-only/.smac_linux.x386.o.cmd for /tmp/vmware-config0/vmnet-only/smac_linux.x386.o
CC /tmp/vmware-config0/vmnet-only/vmnet.mod.o
LD [M] /tmp/vmware-config0/vmnet-only/vmnet.ko
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.17-10-386'
cp -f vmnet.ko ./../vmnet.o
make: Leaving directory `/tmp/vmware-config0/vmnet-only'
The module loads perfectly in the running kernel.
Sponsored Links
Old 22nd November 2006, 10:53
Local Meanie

With my K/X/Ubuntu Edgy install I just needed to get the following:

Code:
sudo apt-get install linux-headers-`uname -r` build-essential xinetd
And if that does not help I was told to get that also:
Code:
sudo apt-get install gcc-3.4
Old 22nd November 2006, 13:50

Default Not yet - Right entries for 386 machine

I tried what the previous author suggested and reran
vmware-config.pl with no luck although the cpp did install

I'd like to try from scratch again, but suspect that I need to subsitute for a 386 processor in the following. Can someone tell me what it should be

apt-get install gcc binutils-doc cpp-doc make manpages-dev autoconf automake1.9 libtool flex bison gdb gcc-doc gcc-4.0-doc libc6-dev-amd64 lib64gcc1

Here's my kernel info
jem@C800:~$ sudo uname -r
2.6.17-10-386

Thanks

Jim Mitchell
Old 22nd November 2006, 17:50
Super Moderator

Thanked 2,747 Times in 2,578 Posts

As far as I know the tutorial http://www.howtoforge.com/ubuntu_vmware_server was written for 32bit systems (although some packages have "64" in their names), so it should work on your 32bit system.

FB: http://www.facebook.com/howtoforge

nginx-Webhosting: Timme Hosting | Follow me on:
Old 22nd November 2006, 17:53
Local Meanie

as said, I run xubuntu edgy and had kubuntu dapper before... all I needed to do is this:

Code:
sudo apt-get install linux-headers-`uname -r` build-essential xinetd
And then the installation of vmware was fine...
Old 22nd November 2006, 21:17

Default Further Problems

Following Falko's advice I moved boldly through the original steps. All went well till I ran:

root@C800:/tmp# cd vmware-server-distrib
root@C800:/tmp/vmware-server-distrib# ./vmware-install.pl

Because I had used the rpm version I got the following sequence

A previous installation of VMware software has been detected.

The previous installation was made by the rpm installer (version 3).

Converting the rpm3 installer database format
to the tar3 installer database format.

error: package VMware-server is not installed
Failure

Execution aborted.

I don't know how to remove the original version.
What do I do now?

Jim Mitchell