Old 11th October 2005, 15:24

Default ISPConfig and separate machines

I have in our IT landscape a setup that consist of several machines for different functions. For ease of understanding I will simplify this for my question.

Server 1 is the web server (apache 2.0.54 and tomcat)
Server 2 is the db server (mysql 4.1.14) + dns (bind 9)
Server 3 is the mail server (postfix).

All machines are running on Gentoo...

I understand that the setup is designed for installation on 1 machine that runs all underlying functions (apache, mysql, bind, postfix).

What must I do to get it installed in our environment with it distributed function setup?

Regards,

Pierre

PS From googling I understand that installation on a Gentoo machine is already difficult. Who has accomplished that and will share the experience?
Sponsored Links
Old 11th October 2005, 16:09
Super Moderator

Thanked 2,752 Times in 2,582 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfm.smits
I have in our IT landscape a setup that consist of several machines for different functions. For ease of understanding I will simplify this for my question.

Server 1 is the web server (apache 2.0.54 and tomcat)
Server 2 is the db server (mysql 4.1.14) + dns (bind 9)
Server 3 is the mail server (postfix).

All machines are running on Gentoo...

I understand that the setup is designed for installation on 1 machine that runs all underlying functions (apache, mysql, bind, postfix).

What must I do to get it installed in our environment with it distributed function setup?

Regards,

Pierre

PS From googling I understand that installation on a Gentoo machine is already difficult. Who has accomplished that and will share the experience?
Install ISPConfig on server 1 and server 3; during setup choose server 2 as your MySQL server (but specify different database names for the installations on server 1 and 3!). Then server 1 and 3 will use server 2 as database server.
Then create your web sites in ISPConfig on server 1; then create the same web sites in ISPConfig on server 3 (despite the real web sites are on server 1) and create your users and email addresses on the tab "User & Email".
When you create users on ISPConfig #1, then you must tell ISPConfig #1 to use an external mail server (-> server3).
When you create databases with ISPConfig #1, you should enable remote access (because the databases will be created on server 2).

BTW, you'll only be successful in installing ISPConfig on each server if all 3 servers fulfill the requirements (Apache, Postfix/Sendmail, MySQL, BIND, ...).

FB: http://www.facebook.com/howtoforge

nginx-Webhosting: Timme Hosting | Follow me on: