Go Back   HowtoForge Forums | HowtoForge - Linux Howtos and Tutorials > Linux Forums > Server Operation

Do you like HowtoForge? Please consider supporting us by becoming a subscriber.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 5th October 2005, 16:40
Rocky Rocky is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 553
Thanks: 14
Thanked 49 Times in 48 Posts
Question Filtering emails using Spamassassin and Clamav for Exchange 2000 Server

I need help to configure a linux distro, preferrably Mandriva, to filter emails and then forward them to my Exchange 2000 Server. Any other distro's would be fine also. I've heard about Spamassassin and Clamav and thought that I should use them. Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2  
Old 5th October 2005, 17:22
falko falko is offline
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Lüneburg, Germany
Posts: 41,701
Thanks: 1,900
Thanked 2,730 Times in 2,568 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky
I need help to configure a linux distro, preferrably Mandriva, to filter emails and then forward them to my Exchange 2000 Server. Any other distro's would be fine also. I've heard about Spamassassin and Clamav and thought that I should use them. Any suggestions?
I've just finished writing a tutorial that could be good for you:
http://www.howtoforge.com/virtual_po..._quota_courier

But it's based on Debian, not Mandriva. But should not be difficult to switch over to Debian.
__________________
Falko
--
Download the ISPConfig 3 Manual! | Check out the ISPConfig 3 Billing Module!

FB: http://www.facebook.com/howtoforge

nginx-Webhosting: Timme Hosting | Follow me on:
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 5th October 2005, 19:32
Rocky Rocky is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 553
Thanks: 14
Thanked 49 Times in 48 Posts
Default

I'll give your tutorial a try.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 6th October 2005, 17:12
Rocky Rocky is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 553
Thanks: 14
Thanked 49 Times in 48 Posts
Default

Ok, so I've followed your tutorial thoroughly and had success. Now if I wanted to catch all mails going to domainA, and send them to smtp.domainA.com, what scenerio would i have to use? Would it be a transport: domainA.com --> smtp:mail.domainA.tld?

Also, If I wanted to catch emails going to domainB, for specific users, and send them to domainA, would I have to use the forwardings example below?
user@domainB.com --> user@domainA.tld. You have .tld in your examples, do I have to create the destination as user@domainA.tld? I'm a bit confuse as to why .com is not used.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 6th October 2005, 18:43
falko falko is offline
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Lüneburg, Germany
Posts: 41,701
Thanks: 1,900
Thanked 2,730 Times in 2,568 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky
Ok, so I've followed your tutorial thoroughly and had success. Now if I wanted to catch all mails going to domainA, and send them to smtp.domainA.com, what scenerio would i have to use? Would it be a transport: domainA.com --> smtp:mail.domainA.tld?
Yes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky
Also, If I wanted to catch emails going to domainB, for specific users, and send them to domainA, would I have to use the forwardings example below?
user@domainB.com --> user@domainA.tld.
Yes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky
You have .tld in your examples, do I have to create the destination as user@domainA.tld? I'm a bit confuse as to why .com is not used.
.tld is just a placeholder for .com, .net, .org, .de, ...
__________________
Falko
--
Download the ISPConfig 3 Manual! | Check out the ISPConfig 3 Billing Module!

FB: http://www.facebook.com/howtoforge

nginx-Webhosting: Timme Hosting | Follow me on:
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 6th October 2005, 18:57
Rocky Rocky is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 553
Thanks: 14
Thanked 49 Times in 48 Posts
Default

Well that explains a lot and thank you very much for all of your tutorials. I'm just waiting for DNS entries to update in order to check my new mail system and I wll post the results.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 13:24.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.