Go Back   HowtoForge Forums | HowtoForge - Linux Howtos and Tutorials > ISPConfig 3 > Installation/Configuration

Do you like HowtoForge? Please consider supporting us by becoming a subscriber.

Old 18th June 2013, 19:00

Default 'Permission denied' trying to do anything

I am running ISPConfig 3.0.5.1 on CentOS 6.4 with Apache. This is not my first ISPConfig system, nor is this the only client/site on the system. I already have a client/site/database combination running successfully on the machine, and it has been operating for a couple of months.

My problem is occurring when I create a new site for the same client, The admin panel shows that everything is good, the base directories for the site are created, and the database is operational. The base directory is at /var/www/clients/client1/web4, as I would expect. All permissions seem to be fine.

However, I need to create a directory immediately under web4. The mkdir fails with 'Permission denied'. If I try to do anything to the web4 directory, I get 'Operation not permitted'. I am running as root, the web4 directory shows ownership of root:root, the owning directory (client1) shows ownership of root:root. Following a tip in another post, I have turned off the "Make web directories immutable" switch.

Where it gets really weird, is that if I create another site, for the same client, I can do anything I want to the new 'web5' directory, just as I would expect. This is, quite frankly, driving me nuts.

Anyone got any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Old 18th June 2013, 19:31
Super Moderator

Thanked 5,533 Times in 4,351 Posts

http://www.howtoforge.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61787
Old 19th June 2013, 06:33

I am not sure if the "chattr..." fix would have worked. I managed to solve the problem, at least for the moment, by turning off the 'SuExec' switch in the configuration of the site. I stumbled on that purely by accident, looking for anything to get the site functional.