Old 14th May 2013, 19:14

Default Setting up DNS server

Until now I have only had the web, database och FTP server on my VPS server but I want to have everything in the same place now so I'm going to get the DNS and email server going also.

I haven't set up a DNS server before and want to now how to get started. How can I transfer my domain names from my other ISP to my VPS server?

And is it as easy to set up BIND as it is in this video? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nKOskFm44uM

Almost seems to easy. Maybe there is a more comprehensive guide out there?
Sponsored Links
Old 14th May 2013, 20:58

Start with the appropriate Perfect Server howto for your distro of choice for the basic setup for BIND if you don't already have it installed.

Then use what you need out of This HowTo to get an idea on how to actually set up and use DNS with ISPConfig.
Old 15th May 2013, 10:34

A good learning exercise (and to help avoid stuff ups) is to setup a DNS server just for internal use first, before configuring as your primary internet DNS.

Once you have setup the DNS server in ispconfig, set your DHCP dns record to use your internal DNS first, then your isp's/google as second/third etc..

This way you can play around with it and learn how it all works, then when you are happy with it, all you have to do is change the name server setting with your domain register to point to your routers ip address, and dont forget to port forward 53 tcp and udp to your dns server.