Go Back   HowtoForge Forums | HowtoForge - Linux Howtos and Tutorials > ISPConfig 3 > Installation/Configuration

Do you like HowtoForge? Please consider supporting us by becoming a subscriber.

Old 13th March 2013, 03:09

Exclamation Need to change ISPconfig base directory for document root of all users during install

Hello all,

I appologize if this has already been covered in other threads, but I googled and searched the forums to no avail, so here goes!

I am about to install ISPConfig 3, went through the howtoforge tutorial, and am at the point where i am running php -q install.php

What i want to know is, how do i specify where the document root will be for all users?

I know it defaults to /var/www/..... but i do not want it to go there, instead i want it in /home/www/....

The reason is i have already carved up /home as a separate file system outside of the primary root volume and /var is inside the root volume (/var/log is also a tertiary file system on a separate LV itself).

Can someone enlighten me here? Should i just use the expert install?

Thanks in advance!

--Corbis
Sponsored Links
Old 13th March 2013, 08:56
Super Moderator

Thanked 5,496 Times in 4,326 Posts

Quote:
I know it defaults to /var/www/..... but i do not want it to go there, instead i want it in /home/www/....
Thats a bad idea to change this path as it will cause suexec to stop working, so you will not be able to fully use your websites afterwards. The suxec path is compiled into the apache binaries of the linux distribution, so it makes no sense to change that in ispconfiga s it woll break your system.

Quote:
The reason is i have already carved up /home as a separate file system outside of the primary root volume and /var is inside the root volume (/var/log is also a tertiary file system on a separate LV itself).
The solution for this is a bit different and not a change of the path. Instead you mount the path /home/www as /var/www with mount bind in /etc/fstab.
The Following User Says Thank You to till For This Useful Post:
razor7 (17th July 2014)
Old 14th March 2013, 16:45

Thanks for the reply Till.

How would this be affected if I shutdown into single user mode, and symlinked /var/www to /home/www?
Old 17th July 2014, 18:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by till View Post
Thats a bad idea to change this path as it will cause suexec to stop working, so you will not be able to fully use your websites afterwards. The suxec path is compiled into the apache binaries of the linux distribution, so it makes no sense to change that in ispconfiga s it woll break your system.

The solution for this is a bit different and not a change of the path. Instead you mount the path /home/www as /var/www with mount bind in /etc/fstab.
Thanks a lot! That really solved me a lot of issues and configurations.

I have all my Ubuntu Server 14.04 data in a RAID1 array, so simply associating the paths in fstab it worked just right. Even I hadn't to configute my apps (redmine, mysql data folder, etc) because I mounted the data folders pointing to the array volume path! great solution and very efficient!