#1  
Old 19th September 2005, 12:05
Ovidiu Ovidiu is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 1,262
Thanks: 78
Thanked 24 Times in 20 Posts
Default bind9 and its use

Hi guys,

if I administer all my domains outside, i.e. on another server (the provider where I registered those domain) what use has bind9 ?

I mean the provider where I registered provides a very easy and intuitive gui for administering, so I only enter a A-Setting and an mx setting pointing to my IP and everything is fine, so I guess I don`t really need bin9 runnimng locally.

now if I setup a domain and say create dns what use will that be? will it be a caching or should I avoid it because I already have dn servers setup by my domain provider - also after setting up bind9 it takes the standard NS it gets from the provider of my root server and enters them as ns, is that ok?

any links to a decent bind9 info page or howto?
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2  
Old 19th September 2005, 14:56
falko falko is offline
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Lüneburg, Germany
Posts: 41,701
Thanks: 1,900
Thanked 2,740 Times in 2,575 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenaka
if I administer all my domains outside, i.e. on another server (the provider where I registered those domain) what use has bind9 ?
None.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenaka
I mean the provider where I registered provides a very easy and intuitive gui for administering, so I only enter a A-Setting and an mx setting pointing to my IP and everything is fine, so I guess I don`t really need bin9 runnimng locally.
Right!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenaka
now if I setup a domain and say create dns what use will that be?
It won't be of any use as you're using other DNS servers as authoritative name servers.
__________________
Falko
--
Download the ISPConfig 3 Manual! | Check out the ISPConfig 3 Billing Module!

FB: http://www.facebook.com/howtoforge

nginx-Webhosting: Timme Hosting | Follow me on:
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 05:32.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.