Go Back   HowtoForge Forums | HowtoForge - Linux Howtos and Tutorials > Linux Forums > Server Operation

Do you like HowtoForge? Please consider supporting us by becoming a subscriber.

Old 9th February 2013, 15:56

Default Courier-Imap: Thunderbird does not see any folders

Hello,

in installed postfix with saslauth and courier-imap on my server to learn how to setup a mailserver. Postfix uses virtual accounts and reads all information from a database where every user account holds a 'home' and a 'maildir' field beside other required account information. For the 'maildir' field i initially used the value
Code:
example.com/username/
This resulted in all mail delivered in mbox format.
In the next step i changed this field to
Code:
example.com/username/Maildir/
The skeleton for this field was stored in /etc/skel and had the qmail structure
Code:
Maildir/
cur
new
tmp
This resulted in all mail delivered into the 'new' folder.

All mail was sent from the terminal for testing. At this point i began to involve Mozilla Thunderbird to send and retrieve all mail. Connecting to the imap and smtp server works. I can send mail, but i cannot fetch it. The client connects and then immediately disconnects. I watch this process from the terminal via
Code:
tail -f /path/to/log/mail.log
Since i don't receive any errors i suppose the problem to be within the folder structure. I searched the web, read several tutorials, but cannot get it to work. I read about an INBOX folder being required and the folders .Sent, .Junk, .Trash and so on. But it is nowhere clearly stated, which of them MUST exist and in what kind they relate to the INBOX folder. So i tried several ways.
Code:
INBOX
   cur
   new
   tmp
cur
new
tmp
Code:
.Junk
   cur
   new
   tmp
.Sent
   cur
   new
   tmp
.Trash
   cur
   new
   tmp
INBOX
   cur
   new
   tmp
cur
new
tmp
For the next try i changed the maildir field in the database to
Code:
example.com/username/INBOX/
Code:
example.com/username/INBOX/
.Junk
   cur
   new
   tmp
.Sent
   cur
   new
   tmp
.Trash
   cur
   new
   tmp
cur
new
tmp
None of these works.

Now my questions are:

1. How do the INBOX folder and all the dot-folders (.Junk, .Sent, .Trash ....) belong together?

2. How must the folder structure beginning from 'example.com/username/' look like?

3. Is is correct, that the whole path to the mailboxes beginning from the root is owned by the mail user vmail:vmail and chmodded 700? I wonder if the user trying to log in and read / write to the mailbox might have not enough rights.

4. Is there a way to track where the client is looking for the folders? Maybe it is looking at a completely different location.
Sponsored Links
Old 13th February 2013, 18:35

Really nobody who can help?