Go Back   HowtoForge Forums | HowtoForge - Linux Howtos and Tutorials > Linux Forums > Programming/Scripts

Do you like HowtoForge? Please consider supporting us by becoming a subscriber.

Old 12th June 2012, 00:38

Default Parsing sendmail logs, per message-id

I use spamass-milter - it works very well. But, since it doesn't log the IP Address of rejected messages, I have to manually grep through to identify the info I need.

I am not sure the IP address is available to the milter at that part of the transaction; however, failing adding that to the log output (which would make life easier), I'm looking for a means to parse the textual log, using the message-id as the key, to parse out the information I need.

I know I could just use syslog-ng and log to mysql, but I'm not there yet.

My limited programming experience would have me parsing over the entire log for the message-id multiple times to match lines - that can't be efficient :-)

Basically, I want to get the IP address of the host that was rejected by Spamass-milter -- from there, I determine whether the host is offensive and needs to be packet filtered.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Old 12th June 2012, 00:42

I mean queue-id, not message-id :-)