Go Back   HowtoForge Forums | HowtoForge - Linux Howtos and Tutorials > Linux Forums > HOWTO-Related Questions

Do you like HowtoForge? Please consider supporting us by becoming a subscriber.

Old 29th May 2012, 04:31

Default How to check command line requests routed thru TOR?

I followed the tutorial here on routing all guest OS Virtualbox traffic through TOR using middlebox.sh and it seems to be working well. The web browsers on the guest OS all report IP's in Europe when I test with seemyip.com and others. The host OS shows my real IP when going to the same sites.

But I initiate a lot of requests from the Linux command line and I haven't been able to confirm to my satisfaction that these are routing through TOR, though I have no reason to think they do not.

When I use this command I get no output from the guest OS, but my real IP from the host OS:

dig myip.opendns.com @resolver1.opendns.com +short

This bash file gives no output from either OS:

#!/bin/bash

echo Your external IP Address is:
wget http://Www.whatismyip.com -O - -o /dev/null | grep '<TITLE>' | sed -r 's/<TITLE>WhatIsMyIP\.com \- //g' | sed -r 's/<\/TITLE>//g'

exit 0

Suggestions?
Sponsored Links