Go Back   HowtoForge Forums | HowtoForge - Linux Howtos and Tutorials > ISPConfig 3 > Installation/Configuration

Do you like HowtoForge? Please consider supporting us by becoming a subscriber.

Old 25th April 2012, 21:46

Default Forcing authentication for local domains

Today I noticed strange issue on my ispconfig 3 installation. After some debugging it was clear that anyone can send emails to local domains without authentication.

I checked main.cf and sow that smtp_senders_restriction pointing to mail_access table in ispconfig database. The issue is that table is empty and I'm not sure how to add record there through ispconfig interface.

Any thoughts??

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Old 26th April 2012, 08:54
Super Moderator

Thanked 5,412 Times in 4,255 Posts

Quote:
After some debugging it was clear that anyone can send emails to local domains without authentication.
Thats the case on every mailserver in the internet, so its not a issue. You mix up mail relaying which is secured by smtp-auth with the normal mail receiving process of a mta. If a authentication for local domains would be required, then your mailserver would not be able to receive any emails.

Quote:
I checked main.cf and sow that smtp_senders_restriction pointing to mail_access table in ispconfig database. The issue is that table is empty and I'm not sure how to add record there through ispconfig interface.
Th mail_accesstable has to be empty for local domains, this table is only used to restrict emails forwards with transports.