Go Back   HowtoForge Forums | HowtoForge - Linux Howtos and Tutorials > ISPConfig 3 > Installation/Configuration

Do you like HowtoForge? Please consider supporting us by becoming a subscriber.

Old 9th March 2012, 11:47

Default Perfect Setup - Debian Squeeze - SASL

i've folllowed the 'perfect server' guide for debian squeeze.

Server is fully up and running (great job) but I couldn't get the server to ask for authentication before sending. If i remember correctly from my old ISPCONFIG2 server - this is SASL's job?

i re-read the guide and found that step 10 on page 4 ( http://www.howtoforge.com/perfect-se...ispconfig-3-p4 ) says :

We can install Postfix, Dovecot, Saslauthd, MySQL, phpMyAdmin, rkhunter, and binutils with a single command:

Code:
apt-get install postfix postfix-mysql postfix-doc mysql-client mysql-server openssl getmail4 rkhunter binutils dovecot-imapd dovecot-pop3d sudo
am i wrong, or is sasl not getting installed there?

is it too late to install it now? or did it get done automatically without specifying it?

if it's NOT getting installed, can i just do an apt-get at this late stage (server fully up and running) or will i need to do more configuration (presumably postfix needs be told to talk to it somehow, maybe the rest of the ispconfig system too?)

alternatively - am i on totally the wrong track, can i just add a line to postfix configuration. It's been a while since i had to do any of this and my head is a little rusty

Last edited by d-signet; 9th March 2012 at 11:53.
Sponsored Links
Old 9th March 2012, 11:54
Super Moderator

Thanked 5,650 Times in 4,460 Posts

Quote:
If i remember correctly from my old ISPCONFIG2 server - this is SASL's job?
ISPConfig 2 and 3 use a totally different mail setup. In the setup you used to install ISPCOnfig 3, smtp authentication is handled by dovecot and not sasl, so sasl must and may not be installed.

If you have a problem with smtp authentication, then please post the exact error messages from the mail log file. A common error for users that used ispconfig 2 before is that they use a wrong username for email. In ISPConfig 3, the email username is the fulle email address and not just the part in front of the @ sign.
Old 9th March 2012, 11:56

Thanks for your prompt reply

I'm not getting an error ... i'm just not getting prompted for authentication.

I telnetted into the machine and sent an email and postfix didn't ask for any username or password.
Old 9th March 2012, 12:01
Super Moderator

Did you try to send to a internal or external domain name? SMTP auth is only required on a mailserver when you send a email to a domain that is not on the local server (e.g. to gmail). Email to local domains never need smtp auth (thats the case on ispconfig 2 and 3 and any other mailserver) as it would be impossible to send a email to alocal domain if it would require auth for that. Another option where smtp auth is not used is inside local networks that are defined in mynetworks in postfix main.cf file.
Old 9th March 2012, 12:57

Ah, that explains a lot, sorry for being a numpty

One more thing though, i have auth error on POP

logs show the line :

Code:
dovecot: auth(default): userdb([my username],[my external ip address]): user not found from any userdbs
any ideas where to start looking?
Old 9th March 2012, 13:00
Super Moderator

Please post the line as it appears in the log and replace just the IP with e.g. 192.168.0.1 biut dont replace the username part, the way you replaced things in the error line makes it impossible to determine if you setup the mail client correctly