Go Back   HowtoForge Forums | HowtoForge - Linux Howtos and Tutorials > ISPConfig 3 > General

Do you like HowtoForge? Please consider supporting us by becoming a subscriber.

Old 17th January 2012, 22:07

Thumbs down All files gone after changing quota to 0

Hello dear ISPConfig developer team. Recently after updating ISPConfig from slightly older version to 3.0.4.2 one of my clients changed sites quota to 0 and instantly lost ALL files in the given site without any possibility of recovery. Huge community site was lost, and many other things. Years of work. Projects management team might be responsible for not making descent backups and I am not trying to be an a**hole here, but seriously? Is what happened here even possible and are there any chances of getting anything back? I know how Linux file recovery works and getting files back without file names is not really a deal closer. This is bad beyond belief...
Sponsored Links
Old 17th January 2012, 22:25
Super Moderator

Thanked 4,978 Times in 3,899 Posts

Setting quota to 0 can not delete any files, so there must have happened somthing else on your server, maybe a problem on the harddisk, filesystem etc. Feel free to install a ispconfig server and set quota to any value you like if you dont believe me, it will not delete any files. Beside there are ten thousands of servrs running ispconfig and we received no report of dataloss on quota change. Changing quota does nothing else then setting a new quota limit in the linux quota database of the partition, it neither moves, copies or deletes files.

Last edited by till; 17th January 2012 at 22:28.
Old 17th January 2012, 22:34

Yes I know it should not do that, but it did. Nothing besides changing quota was done. That is why I am sharing my frustration in this forum. It would suck if it happened to anyone else and I do understand that if the files where deleted, there is not much chance of recovery. Right after changing the quota, user directory looked like it was just created. All I am trying to understand here is why?

edit: there might be a possibility, that my client is lying, but the thing is - he is not completely stupid. I don't think he deleted those files. If there is even a possibility of a bug doing that, it should be raided with tanks.

Last edited by spynode; 17th January 2012 at 22:36.
Old 17th January 2012, 22:45
Super Moderator

Did you set the quota yourself or did someone told you that he just changed the quota? I have to ask that before we try to check that more in detail as I heard it more then once that clients just said that they did a thing because they were ashamed that they did somtehing else which caused a problem.

I have no idea what might caused that, iam sure that it can not be caused by the qota change. I will try to reproduce that but iam sure that it cant be reproduced by changing the quota. As i explained above, there are many installs in production, about 15 - 20thousand new installs per month, so if ispconfig would delete files on quota change, then you would find a few thousand posts about that here in the forum.

Have you checked all subfolders in /var/www if the site is not somwhere there, especially all subfolders in the clients directors. Maybe someone changed the path of the site so that the domain symlink points to a new empty directory while the old site is still there.
Old 17th January 2012, 22:49

As I wrote, I did not change it myself. Rather it was done by I client of mine whom I know personally and who is quite reasonably intelligent. Can any quota change trigger this at all? For example changing quota to -1? There can be millions of active installs not suffering from this but in reality there are no 2 equally configured deployments.

Last edited by spynode; 17th January 2012 at 22:52.
Old 17th January 2012, 23:06
Super Moderator

A quota change can not delete files, if you change the quota of a linux user as root to a value that is lower then the existing amount of files, then nothing will happen except that repquota reports the user as over quota and that the user will not be able to upload new files. There is no function in the linux quota system nor ispconfig that removes files when a user is over quota.

Pleae check the server, e.g. With a full file search, if the site is in a different folder where you might not expect it.

A empty site does not nescesarily mean that the site has been deleted, it can also mean that the site has been recreated in a new location because the site path was changed in a way that ispconfig could not recognize it, e.g on the shell, so the quota change triggered a update on the site, the scripts did not find the site in the directory that is set as site path an created a new empty site so that apache wont fail but the original site still exists in another path.

Did your client told ou why he changed the quota? In most cases users change quota when they recive some kind of error becuse they think that the quota change will fix it. If there was uch a error, then this error might be the indication what happened to the site.