Old 15th December 2010, 02:54

Send a message via MSN to entertheraptor
Default Webmail

Hi all,

I set up my home server following the fantastic "The Perfect Server - Ubuntu 10.10 [ISPConfig 3]" guide here on HowtoForge and everything works great so far.

Because I followed the guide to the letter I obviously have Postfix mail server and squirrelMail but after looking around I'm thinking that Roundcube might be a better webmail option as it seems to have more features as well as appearing to be nicer Aesthetically.

I don't want to screw my perfectly working mail system up so I thought I'd better ask for some advice before I go ahead and start installing so....

What would be the best way to go about changing over to roundcube? Should I replace SquirrelMail with Roundcube or run them side by side? What might stuff up after the instillation? Where is the best Roundcube instillation guide?

Just quickly, I would also like to be able to access webmail by going to "mydomain.com/webmail" rather than having to type my servers IP (x.x.x.x/webmail) I have read a thread or two on how to achieve this which include suggestions including installing webmail in a subdirectory of mydomain/web but (and I'm only guessing here) couldn't this be achieved with a symlink in mydomain/web pointing to /user/share/webmail? and if so what form should the command to create the symlink take?

Thanks in advance

Last edited by entertheraptor; 15th December 2010 at 02:59.
Sponsored Links
Old 15th December 2010, 08:30

Which webmailer you want to use is your own decision.
I'd use only one of them. Because your customers will have questions on the webmailer and will need support in using it. If you offer them two different mailers you'll have to support them both.
On my server I only use roundcube.
This is how to do it as you want:

1. Create a folder /var/www/webmail
2. Install roundcube in this directory (it's really simple, just follow the install instructions)
3. To be able to access it from every vHost, create a file /etc/apache2/conf.d/roundcube.conf with this content:
Code:
Alias /webmail /var/www/webmail
<Directory /var/www/webmail>
        php_admin_value open_basedir /var/www/webmail
        AllowOverride All
        Order allow,deny
        Allow from all
</Directory>
4. /etc/init.d/apache2 reload

Now the webmailer should be accessible as /webmail from all domains on your server.
Old 15th December 2010, 12:59

I got all the way to the end of the instillation and then got a blank white page, any ideas?
Old 16th December 2010, 10:26

Ok, after hours of trial and error I have found no fix for this problem and after extensive reading it appears that no one else has either.

Roundcube binned, SquirrelMail lives!

On to the next issue...

Oh, can anyone tell me how to create a symlink in /mydomain.com/web called "webmail" that points to /usr/share/squirrelmail/ please

Last edited by entertheraptor; 16th December 2010 at 10:55.
Old 16th December 2010, 12:32

OK, maybe this might help someone to help me to figure what the problem with Roundcube was. While looking at the Apache error log I found this...

[Thu Dec 16 16:46:33 2010] [error] [client 192.168.1.3] PHP Parse error: syntax error, unexpected T_DEFAULT in /var/www/mail/config/main.inc.php on line 156

anyone?
Old 16th December 2010, 15:07
Super Moderator

Thanked 2,735 Times in 2,571 Posts

You have a PHP syntax error in /var/www/mail/config/main.inc.php. What exactly did you change in that file?

FB: http://www.facebook.com/howtoforge

nginx-Webhosting: Timme Hosting | Follow me on: