Old 31st August 2005, 14:43

Default Using ISPConfig on an Intranet

I'm trying to set up ISPconfig within a school to allow students to develop websites without having to sign up with a freeISP. I don't want their sites to be visible to the Internet as a whole.

ISPconfig seems to be working OK, but I'm rather struggling in how to set it up on this Intranet basis. What should I use for host and domain names? and What about DNS?

Can some kind soul point me in the right direction?

Many thanks

Steve

Last edited by stevetheb; 31st August 2005 at 14:44. Reason: Correcting typos!
Sponsored Links
Old 31st August 2005, 15:22
Super Moderator

Thanked 5,333 Times in 4,184 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevetheb
I'm trying to set up ISPconfig within a school to allow students to develop websites without having to sign up with a freeISP. I don't want their sites to be visible to the Internet as a whole.

ISPconfig seems to be working OK, but I'm rather struggling in how to set it up on this Intranet basis. What should I use for host and domain names? and What about DNS?

Can some kind soul point me in the right direction?

Many thanks

Steve
I think there are two possible solutions:

1) Make IP-Based webs with private IP's. As far as i remember it should be possible in ISPConfig by leaving the host and domain field empty.

2) Make your own domains with the ending ".shool" or something like that and run a DNS server that resolves these domains to your private IP adresses. To try things out you can modify the hosts file of your workstation.
Old 31st August 2005, 18:31

If you workstations are locked inside the network, you can basically use any domain you like. You don't have to run a DNS service if you are running ISPC internally. But if you choose, you may .

For every Windows workstation you have, edit the HOSTS file with a text editor like notepad. The HOSTS file is found in: \windows\system32\drivers\etc\ and add the fallowing..

<IP of linux server> <domain.name.com>

Code:
192.168.0.1 microsoft.com www.microsoft.com
So, each workstation knows that microsoft.com is at IP address 192.168.0.1. It doesn't have to be connected to the internet. Of course the domain will have to change if you want to make it accessable to people outside of your network.
Old 31st August 2005, 23:04
Super Moderator

Thanked 2,740 Times in 2,575 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by till
1) Make IP-Based webs with private IP's. As far as i remember it should be possible in ISPConfig by leaving the host and domain field empty.
Since version 2.0.8 you have to specify a domain...

FB: http://www.facebook.com/howtoforge

nginx-Webhosting: Timme Hosting | Follow me on: