Go Back   HowtoForge Forums | HowtoForge - Linux Howtos and Tutorials > ISPConfig 2 > Installation/Configuration

Do you like HowtoForge? Please consider supporting us by becoming a subscriber.

Old 17th January 2010, 16:49

Default User conflict with ISPConfig and apache

I installed phpwebgallery and set the user and group recursively to the same owner as all the other files/directories in /var/www/web1/, thinking that would make things work right. However I finally discovered that httpd runs as apache.apache which broke the phpwebgallery. Once I changed everything over to user apache, it all started to work.

My question is, have I configured something wrong?

Second question concerns email. I'm seeing this in the maillog

Jan 17 10:15:31 server postfix/smtp[3052]: 3A33A27579C: to=<web4_president@server.localdomain>,
orig_to=<president@fc-arc.org>, relay=none, delay=0.38, delays=0.29/0.08/0.01/0, dsn=5.4.4, stat
us=bounced (Host or domain name not found. Name service error for name=server.localdomain type=A
: Host not found)

My host name is set to www (hostname command, /etc/hostname and in the /etc/hosts file it is
cat /etc/hosts
# Do not remove the following line, or various programs
# that require network functionality will fail.
127.0.0.1 localhost.localdomain localhost
::1 localhost6.localdomain6 localhost6
208.93.233.148 www.fc-arc.org

I have no idea where it is getting a host name of server. Again, I guess I've got something configured wrong.

Suggestions welcome.

This is a Centos 5.4 system installed following the howo perfect system guide.

Jim.
Sponsored Links
Old 18th January 2010, 09:20
Super Moderator

Thanked 4,999 Times in 3,910 Posts

This is caused by mod_php as mod_php does not support to run php under a different user then the apache user. If you want to run php scripts under the user of the website, use suphp:

http://www.howtoforge.com/install-su...2.20-and-above
The Following User Says Thank You to till For This Useful Post:
JimXL (19th January 2010)
Old 19th January 2010, 13:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by till View Post
This is caused by mod_php as mod_php does not support to run php under a different user then the apache user. If you want to run php scripts under the user of the website, use suphp:

http://www.howtoforge.com/install-su...2.20-and-above
OK, thanks. I'm surprised that isn't included in the ISPConfig install instructions or something.

Screw it, I'm backing ISPConfigure out and starting over. I thought this would be easier than rolling my own virtual hosts, it's not.

Jim.
Old 19th January 2010, 15:01
Super Moderator

Thanked 4,999 Times in 3,910 Posts

Quote:
OK, thanks. I'm surprised that isn't included in the ISPConfig install instructions or something.
Thats simple. Solutions like suphp that have to switch the user are slower then mod_php. I run a lot of cms systems with mod_php, so there is no real reason. You just have to make the upload directory of the cms writable to the apache user.