Go Back   HowtoForge Forums | HowtoForge - Linux Howtos and Tutorials > Linux Forums > Installation/Configuration

Do you like HowtoForge? Please consider supporting us by becoming a subscriber.

Old 19th August 2009, 18:28

Question Is It Possible To Reinstall (Ub) Without Losing Files?

Hello All:

My question is:
Is there a way to reinstall Ubuntu without losing everything, or just do a repair on the OS somehow?
I used to choice off the Install CD but it did not work? (Did not even ask for the old password)? I must've done something wrong? or did I?

Thanks!

this is the details:

I almost blew it today: ("http://www.howtoforge.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38335fsck saves" thread) but I got out of trouble safely but this has always been a question for me because:

I have had to reinstall Ubuntu 3 or 4 times already (this is why they tell you NOT to log in as ROOT and we dont listen) LOL

In every case when I reinstalled the fdisk portion of the Install CD gave NO choice as to reinstall over the same partitions in fact if I remember correctly it gave me no choice but to Format All Partitions as well.

So basically I Lost All My Files.
(I mean I knew I would, but I had no choice but to go on...so I am not complaining lol).

I have used the Advance Install (from CD root menu by F6), and used the other choice off the main menu to Save the Old System choices to no avail?!

I do not know why it (Install OS) does not ask you for the old root's password then let you just install the necessary files so you can boot decently??
I never saw such choice so I am asking you!

If you know how or know a link please post it for me (and other people).

Thank You!

Last edited by matey; 19th August 2009 at 18:31.
Sponsored Links
Old 20th August 2009, 02:56

Default /home

I know this is all very 'after the horse has bolted', but when you install, create a partition for / a partition for /home and a swap partition.
There will be many people who will say create a partition for /boot and one for /var etc. But, for an example, / needs no more than 10GB, swap roughly double the size of your RAM, and the rest for /home.
That way next time you mess up and want to reinstall you only need to format where / is and not the partition you'll mount as /home.
/home is /dev/sda5 on my system, and in the last month I've installed Ubuntu, Debian and Fedora, every time mounting /dev/sda5 as /home, and obviously enough, never lost any of my stuff.
Old 20th August 2009, 11:30

oh really?
cool
Thanks a lot.
I hope I wont mess up again but next time I'll remember to use only the / to reinstall!
make sense now
Thanks again.