Go Back   HowtoForge Forums | HowtoForge - Linux Howtos and Tutorials > ISPConfig 3 > Installation/Configuration

Do you like HowtoForge? Please consider supporting us by becoming a subscriber.

Old 20th June 2009, 06:35

Default mailman / aliases being rejected

Hello, I've got a working ispconfig 3 (I believe, still kind of new so haven't tested everything yet). I've configured mailman on a few different servers so I'm not a total novice at this.

My server is named xyz.domain1.com and for mailing lists I like to use lists.domain2.com as the domain. I've set up mailman to receive email for lists.domain2.com using the web ui.

I've then installed the mailman .deb file and created the mailman list. I've also created a separate list. I've added the normal options to /etc/alias and run newaliases.

To test I telnet lists.domain2.com smtp and talk to the mda. I get this response to the rcpt command:

Code:
550 5.1.1 <something@lists.domain2.com>:Recipient address rejected: User unknown in virtual mailbox table
I don't fully understand how ispconfig has postfix configured for looking up addresses from the mysql database. Is there something I can do to make this work? I'm not sure why the aliases table is being disregarded, normally it is always consulted.

I'm using Ubuntu 9.04 Server, fully updated with the most recent ISPConfig 3.
Sponsored Links
Old 20th June 2009, 11:39
Super Moderator

Thanked 5,647 Times in 4,457 Posts

ISPConfig uses the standard virtual user setup as described in the postfix documentation. The aliases file can not be used in a virtual user setup as postfix does not read it for virtual users and domains, the aliases file is only read for setups with linux system users.
Old 22nd June 2009, 05:00

ok, got it. Any tips on what I can do to get mail delivered to mailman with this setup? With ispconfig 2 I used this technique (putting the lists in /etc/aliases).
Old 22nd June 2009, 12:34
Super Moderator

Thanked 5,647 Times in 4,457 Posts

From mailman documentation:

http://www.gnu.org/software/mailman/...x-virtual.html