Go Back   HowtoForge Forums | HowtoForge - Linux Howtos and Tutorials > ISPConfig 3 > Installation/Configuration

Do you like HowtoForge? Please consider supporting us by becoming a subscriber.

Old 25th April 2009, 23:24

Default Second server installation not linked with master

I don't think I installed ISPConfig 3 correctly on my second server, because I don't see where it's syncing up with the master server.

I have two physical machines, each with two virtual servers running Ubuntu 8.04. A load balancer is one virtual, and the webserver is the second on each machine. I also have a second network card in each computer, and a crossover cable, as a bridge between the two physical computers.

ISPConfig was installed on the first webserver (WEB1) using the standard install. I have an IP address assigned to the crossover NIC on WEB1 as 192.168.0.202. I then installed ISPConfig on the second webserver (WEB2) using the expert install. I kept getting stopped where it asks for the master MYsql server name. When I used localhost, which is what I used in WEB1, it finished the install. I can get to both interfaces locally.

My problem is now how is ISPConfig on WEB2 going to sync with it on WEB1? Also, how do I force it to use my crossover to communicate if possible? I'm using the dedicated GB crossover just for master/master DB and rsync. I'm able to ping each server using the assigned IP's for the crossover, WEB1 is 192.168.0.202, and WEB2 is 192.168.0.212. Is there any other thing that needs to be done on the second install to tell it to connect to the master?
Sponsored Links
Old 26th April 2009, 11:28
Super Moderator

Thanked 5,412 Times in 4,255 Posts

Quote:
ISPConfig was installed on the first webserver (WEB1) using the standard install. I have an IP address assigned to the crossover NIC on WEB1 as 192.168.0.202. I then installed ISPConfig on the second webserver (WEB2) using the expert install. I kept getting stopped where it asks for the master MYsql server name. When I used localhost, which is what I used in WEB1, it finished the install. I can get to both interfaces locally.
Localhost is always the local server, so you now have to independant servers. As you installed the second server you must use the real hostname of the master server and not localhost. You will have to uninstall ispconfig on the second server and then reinstall it again as your current server can not be joined to the master after the installation.
Old 26th April 2009, 13:39

So does that mean when it asks for the server name, I should use web1.example.com, or the IP address of the virtual server the master is on?

Also, is there a way to force it to use the crossover network? Possibly changing my hosts file?

I installed both systems using the help text file included with ISPConfig3, as well as the how-to at http://www.howtoforge.com/perfect-se...10-ispconfig-3.

Do I have to modify anything in MySql on web1, or web2 first, like permissions? Every time I try to install on web2 using web1.example.com, or 192.168.0.202, for the master server hostname, I get "Unable to connect to mysql server". I can still can ping server1 on both it's connections.

Last edited by wxman; 26th April 2009 at 17:07.
Old 26th April 2009, 20:16

Good news bad news.
After adding permissions in the DB's on both servers to allow root privileges on both the server names, and the crossover IP's, I finally got it to install on the slave server. It took several try's to get there though. Now I have way too many DB users, and I need to figure out which to remove.

Now when I open ISPConfig on the master server, it shows three identical slave servers! Am I correct that I can fix that by deleting the two extra entries in dbispconfig table>server?

Am I wrong in assuming that this system will automatically update each other? I ask this because now I have both running, I notice that ISPConfig on web2 has no entries, and the monitor on web1 shows no information for web2 server. I'm going to be setting up master/master replication for any other DB's and rsync for all the other files.
Old 27th April 2009, 13:59
Super Moderator

Thanked 5,412 Times in 4,255 Posts

Quote:
Now when I open ISPConfig on the master server, it shows three identical slave servers! Am I correct that I can fix that by deleting the two extra entries in dbispconfig table>server?
yes.

Quote:
Am I wrong in assuming that this system will automatically update each other? I ask this because now I have both running, I notice that ISPConfig on web2 has no entries, and the monitor on web1 shows no information for web2 server. I'm going to be setting up master/master replication for any other DB's and rsync for all the other files.
Only the master has an inteface. If you have installd an interface on the slave too then it will not work properly and you can not use this.
Old 27th April 2009, 16:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by till View Post
Only the master has an inteface. If you have installed an interface on the slave too then it will not work properly and you can not use this.
By Interface, do you mean the control panel you see when you get into the program? I had no idea I wasn't supposed to install that on the second server.

Since I'm using this as a load balancer with failover, should I keep the interface on the second server?

Does the dbispconfig DB keep mirrored automatically, or do I need to include it in my master/master replication? I noticed that the second server still shows no sites or clients. I tried to add a client to the master, but nothing changed in the slave.

There's also still no information about the second server showing up on either interface. It says it's there, but there is no information on any of the monitor points.

Last edited by wxman; 27th April 2009 at 19:18.