Go Back   HowtoForge Forums | HowtoForge - Linux Howtos and Tutorials > Linux Forums > HOWTO-Related Questions

Do you like HowtoForge? Please consider supporting us by becoming a subscriber.

Old 22nd March 2006, 16:38

Default Questions in regards to ISP-Server Setup - Ubuntu 5.10 "Breezy Badger"

I am relatively new to linux in itself, although I have played around with RH, SuSE, and Mandrake in the distant past. I want to be able to run my own web server using the ISPConfig HowTo. I followed the instruction and it seems to be working grat. Much kudos to tado for writing this easy to follow setup. However I'm having some problems understanding a few issues. Here is some basic information on what I've already done or have in place:
  • Registered thermalhost.com
  • Also currently have cipherghost.com and 454corp.com which I have owned for several years hosted elsewhere. (Ideally I'd like to move these domains onto this box as well)

1) On page 3, under the section Setting the Hostname it gives an exmple as follows:

Code:
echo server1.example.com > /etc/hostname
/bin/hostname -F /etc/hostname
Regardless of what I change this to(i.e. server.thermalhost.com) certain parts of Ubuntu stop working, if I reboot I get a message stating that it the hostname has an error and gives me a warning that certain parts of the OS may not operate correctly. It then gives me the option to try again or login anyway. Once I choose login anyway, I can't do basic things such as open File Browser, gEdit, Synaptic Package Manager, etc...It seems like the change prevents these from working in its entirety. Not knowing what to do the first time I simply reformatted and skipped the Setting the Hostname section and went through the entire installation, which is working fine it seems. I tried to set the hostname again last night with the same results as before, I ound that after logging back in it acted the very same way and I tried, using terminal, to change it back to localhost. It started working again but I'm unsure of how to go about this.

2) Also another issue I'm having trouble understanding is with BIND. I have my registrar setup to look at my server for DNS resolution. I also was thinking of using everydns.net as a secondary DNS if possible. However when I check DNS report I receive several fatals. I am unsure exactly how to treat each of these, some of them(i.e. ns0.thermalhost.com; mail.thermalhost.com) need a DNS entry but I am thinking that these would need to be edited in the named.conf directly instead of using ISPConfig. Please check out my DNSReport here .

If I need to submit more information please let me know. Thanks in advance for any advice offered.
Sponsored Links
Old 22nd March 2006, 17:54
Super Moderator

Thanked 2,735 Times in 2,571 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbrantley
Regardless of what I change this to(i.e. server.thermalhost.com) certain parts of Ubuntu stop working, if I reboot I get a message stating that it the hostname has an error and gives me a warning that certain parts of the OS may not operate correctly. It then gives me the option to try again or login anyway. Once I choose login anyway, I can't do basic things such as open File Browser, gEdit, Synaptic Package Manager, etc...It seems like the change prevents these from working in its entirety. Not knowing what to do the first time I simply reformatted and skipped the Setting the Hostname section and went through the entire installation, which is working fine it seems. I tried to set the hostname again last night with the same results as before, I ound that after logging back in it acted the very same way and I tried, using terminal, to change it back to localhost. It started working again but I'm unsure of how to go about this.
You must make sure that the hostname you use exists in DNS. If it doesn't, then you should at least add it to /etc/hosts.

Quote:
2) Also another issue I'm having trouble understanding is with BIND. I have my registrar setup to look at my server for DNS resolution. I also was thinking of using everydns.net as a secondary DNS if possible. However when I check DNS report I receive several fatals. I am unsure exactly how to treat each of these, some of them(i.e. ns0.thermalhost.com; mail.thermalhost.com) need a DNS entry but I am thinking that these would need to be edited in the named.conf directly instead of using ISPConfig. Please check out my DNSReport here .

If I need to submit more information please let me know. Thanks in advance for any advice offered.
thermalhost.com points to a private IP address:

Code:
dig thermalhost.com

; <<>> DiG 9.2.1 <<>> thermalhost.com
;; global options:  printcmd
;; Got answer:
;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NOERROR, id: 26538
;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 1, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 0

;; QUESTION SECTION:
;thermalhost.com.               IN      A

;; ANSWER SECTION:
thermalhost.com.        86400   IN      A       192.168.2.2

;; Query time: 371 msec
;; SERVER: 81.169.163.104#53(81.169.163.104)
;; WHEN: Wed Mar 22 17:51:34 2006
;; MSG SIZE  rcvd: 49
You must use public IP addresses because otherwise nobody from outside your network can see your site.

Have a look here: http://www.howtoforge.com/forums/sho...92&postcount=4
and here: http://www.howtoforge.com/traditional_dns_howto
and here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Domain_name_system to learn more about DNS.

FB: http://www.facebook.com/howtoforge

nginx-Webhosting: Timme Hosting | Follow me on:
Old 22nd March 2006, 18:46

Thanks for the reply Falko, I will read over these articles you suggested and give them a go this evening. If I have any more question I will post them back in this thread. Thanks again!
Old 30th March 2006, 04:00

I believe I have these options configured correctly now. Additionally I would appreciate someone to look over these screenshots I've taken of the various config screens. I seem to be having trouble understanding the documentation fully, so please excuse my ignorance. Here is a pdf with all of the screenshots I thought might pertain to some of my misconfiguration. To clarify let me first say that this server is behind an IPCop box. I have all necessary ports forwarded to my server which resides on orange(192.168.2.2)

1) Regarding postfix I cannot seem to get past my ISP when it comes to sending mail to my domain, mail.thermalhost.com(68.15.249.219) I have to use smarthost.coxmail.com as a relayhost and I have set it as such in /postfix/main.cf. After setting it and restarting postfix I tested it by sending a mail from my gmail account to admin@thermalhost.com and got the following result:
Quote:
his Message was undeliverable due to the following reason:

Each of the following recipients was rejected by a remote mail server.
The reasons given by the server are included to help you determine why
each recipient was rejected.

Recipient: <admin@thermalhost.com>
Reason: <admin@thermalhost.com>: Relay access denied

Please reply to <Postmaster@coxmail.com>
if you feel this message to be in error.

Reporting-MTA: dns; dukecmmtar01.coxmail.com
Arrival-Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2006 20:18:45 -0500
Received-From-MTA: dns; [68.15.249.219]

Final-Recipient: RFC822; <admin@thermalhost.com>
Action: failed
Remote-MTA: dns; mail.thermalhost.com (68.15.249.219)
How would I go about correcting this or is it possible?

2) Secondly I tried to test one of my website before migrating the domain name from my current host to myself. I FTP'ed my index.php page off of my host and onto www.thermalhost.com/www.cipherghost.com. When I browse to it I just get the code for the index.php (This can be seen in my PDF file that I linked, the picture is at the very bottom.

Basically all-in-all I want www.thermalhost.com to be my webpage for my lil "ISP" where I can post what I do and why with it. I also want mail.thermalhost.com will klink to postifx for all domains regardless of name, ns0.thermalhost.com/ns1.thermalhost com are pointed from my registrar to my box which IPCop port forwards over to my ISPConfig box. I want to use these as the baseline for all domains. The additionally I want to host cipherghost.com and nocturnalrage.net but somehow I'd like to test them before I point the domain names at my server as they are up and running on my host currently and are functional. I know this may seem like a lot and maybe I'm making it a heck of a lot harder than it is, but again please bear with my ignorance and confusion. I appreciate any and all help. Thanks again

RBrantley
Old 30th March 2006, 15:51
Super Moderator

Quote:
1) Regarding postfix I cannot seem to get past my ISP when it comes to sending mail to my domain, mail.thermalhost.com(68.15.249.219) I have to use smarthost.coxmail.com as a relayhost and I have set it as such in /postfix/main.cf. After setting it and restarting postfix I tested it by sending a mail from my gmail account to admin@thermalhost.com and got the following result:

How would I go about correcting this or is it possible?
You might also have to provide a username and a password for smarthost.coxmail.com: http://www.howtoforge.com/forums/sho...4&postcount=18

Quote:
2) Secondly I tried to test one of my website before migrating the domain name from my current host to myself. I FTP'ed my index.php page off of my host and onto www.thermalhost.com/www.cipherghost.com. When I browse to it I just get the code for the index.php (This can be seen in my PDF file that I linked, the picture is at the very bottom.
This happens because you're using www.thermalhost.com instead of www.cipherghost.com which is a completely different vhost.

And you cannot use www.cipherghost.com right now because it is pointing to the wrong IP address: 216.35.197.40 instead of 68.15.249.219.
This happens although you have configured everything correctly in ISPConfig. But the problem is: the ISPConfig server is not the authoritative name server for cipherghost.com. The authoritative name servers are:

Code:
 dig ns cipherghost.com

; <<>> DiG 9.2.1 <<>> ns cipherghost.com
;; global options:  printcmd
;; Got answer:
;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NOERROR, id: 40484
;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 2, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 0

;; QUESTION SECTION:
;cipherghost.com.               IN      NS

;; ANSWER SECTION:
cipherghost.com.        25882   IN      NS      ns1.server341.com.
cipherghost.com.        25882   IN      NS      ns2.server341.com.

;; Query time: 638 msec
;; SERVER: 81.169.163.104#53(81.169.163.104)
;; WHEN: Thu Mar 30 15:44:33 2006
;; MSG SIZE  rcvd: 79
If you want your ISPConfig server to be authoritative for cipherghost.com, you must tell the registrar about it so that he can make the necessary changes.

Old 30th March 2006, 21:42

Thanks for you time and your answer Falko, I will check on the smarthost relay later today. Also am I understanding correctly that I cannot truey test the functionality of cipherghost.com before transfering the domain, I basically just want to see once I transfer the domain it will work correctly. Other than what I mentioned above is there anything else that looks awry in my setup in your opinion?
Old 31st March 2006, 11:34
Super Moderator

Quote:
Also am I understanding correctly that I cannot truey test the functionality of cipherghost.com before transfering the domain,
You must point cipherghost.com to your ISPConfig server's IP address. If you do this on the current name servers or tell your registrar that you want to use your own name servers doesn't matter.
If you just want to test, you can also modify your client PC's hosts file: http://www.howtoforge.com/forums/sho...s+file+windows

Quote:
Other than what I mentioned above is there anything else that looks awry in my setup in your opinion?
What I've seen so far looks ok.