Go Back   HowtoForge Forums | HowtoForge - Linux Howtos and Tutorials > ISPConfig 3 > Installation/Configuration

Do you like HowtoForge? Please consider supporting us by becoming a subscriber.

Old 18th February 2009, 20:57

Default myDNS & Bind slaves - ISPConfig3

Hi,

I'm doing some testing with the great ISPConfig3 and I ran into some questions with myDNS. As it's very light in docs I resort to here.

I have several off-site dns backups who run bind (not discussable) and I want them to AXFR their stuff of the main myDNS server.
I have added 'allow-axfr = yes' to the mydns.conf, and I have verified this actually working after adding my slave dns-ip's to the xfer field.

What I'm not getting is the notify part.
If I got it correctly myDNS does not sent notifies to the slaves whenever updates are performed (it's not aware of such a change since only the underlying table is updated and the deamon is not notified), thus creating an potential problem.
But the documentation states that that is the setting 'notify-enabled' is true then notifies will be generated on startup, this is something that I can't confirm to be working.
I find that updating the slaves in a timely matter is important for good service.

Any ideas ?

Greets
Kobe
Sponsored Links
Old 19th February 2009, 10:50
Super Moderator

Thanked 5,240 Times in 4,108 Posts

I see two options:

1) Rund mydns on the slaves too and use the mysql replication faetures in ispconfig to replicate the dns records to the other instances.

2) Restart the mydns on the master by cron from time to time, e.g. once an hour.
Old 20th February 2009, 12:20

Till,

Running myDNS on the slaves is not an option (those servers are not mine and re slaving several thousands of other domains from other sources).

Upon restarting myDNS NOTIFIES are not sent out currently (for a reason unknown to me). Is this a possible bug in myDNS or am I missing something?
In case of a bug I'll have a look in the source ;-)
Old 20th February 2009, 12:28
Super Moderator

Thanked 5,240 Times in 4,108 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murder4Al View Post
Till,

Running myDNS on the slaves is not an option (those servers are not mine and re slaving several thousands of other domains from other sources).

Upon restarting myDNS NOTIFIES are not sent out currently (for a reason unknown to me). Is this a possible bug in myDNS or am I missing something?
In case of a bug I'll have a look in the source ;-)
I'am not suere if its a bug as I'am not a mydns developer. Maybe its just a missing feature? mydns isteslf is not under development anymore as far as I know but the successor project is mydns-ng which can be found at sourceforge and which is used for ispconfig as well. Maybe you might ask the developers in their mailing list if they know a solution for this.
Old 20th February 2009, 14:17

A look in the source learned that 'allow-update' also needs to be enabled for the notify-on-start feature to kick-in.

Since bind is trying to be smart it uses IXFR's as a response it seems, so I just need to figure out how to enable that.

BTW, I'm using the -ng version evidently.
Old 23rd February 2009, 08:48

Question

What I am struggling to understand is, why did u decide to change over to mydns when bind seemed to be working just fine. i will grant u that mydns is easier to understand.

i am running fedora 9 (i know this experimental, and no i am not changing to ubuntu/debian). mydns starts beautifully using a service mydns start, but it refuses to start on boot - it gives an error 111 mysql connection error.

can someone please help with this as all of the mysql details are correct and it loads nicely once the box has booted and i do a service start manually.

it just occurred to me that since it is moaning about a mysql.sock error, is it not possible that mydns is starting before mysqld and therefore cannot connect?

J