Go Back   HowtoForge Forums | HowtoForge - Linux Howtos and Tutorials > ISPConfig 2 > Installation/Configuration

Do you like HowtoForge? Please consider supporting us by becoming a subscriber.

Old 5th February 2009, 17:30

Default use external dns nameservers CONFUSED

First, I have posted before within these forums and I want to say what a GREAT program ISPConfig is. Thank you everyone involved.

I read through all the forum posted I cannot find one the explains the use of external dns nameservers (offered by a domain registrant, GoDaddy to be specific) with ISPConfig.

I have two websites on my ISPConfig machine. They could be represented by firstdomain.com and seconddomain.com. Both of these fictional domains are registered at GoDaddy.

My ISPConfig machine is on a static address and all necessary ports from IPCop firewall are pointing to ISPConfig server on "orange DMZ' zone. (I know this because at one point I had firstdomain.com working and now I have tried to switch the domain over to GoDaddy nameservers. So I am having the same "my web browser cannot find them" issue with both sites, now.)

So, both website (on GoDaddy) point to the same external IP address of the ISPConfig machine.

When I 'dig' seconddomain.com I see GoDaddy nameservers. When I 'dig' firstdomain.com I still see my old dyndns nameservers from when firstdomain.com was on a dynamic IP address.

So, while I wait for firstdomain.com nameservers to correct themselves (hopefully today, sometime) I would like to get seconddomain.com working and then firstdomain.com should also work correctly.

Internal dns (for both domains) point to the same internal IP address of 192.168.5.102 (my ISPConfig server address.)

Sorry for all the setup for these questions, but if anyone cannot tell my now, I am kinda pulling my hair out.

In ISPConfig settings, firstdomain.com is the "master" dns and seconddomain.com is a "slave" to the master. Is this correct?

Then, what "records" do I need? And they appear that they will be placed onto the firstdomain.com "master" site only, as there is no "records" tab on the slave 'window' of seconddomain.com dns settings? Or I thought I read somewhere that when using external dns servers the records should be blank?

If there is some tutorial that I have missed, please direct me to it. The two howto's mentioned the most are How To Run Your Own Name Servers With ISPConfig And Godaddy and How To Run Your Own Name Server With ISPConfig And providerdomain.de (Schlund) are confusing when one is using external name servers.

I guess I am just "not getting it" and I need a little help and hopefully the "light bulb will light!"

Sorry about the length of the post.
Sponsored Links
Old 5th February 2009, 22:18

Default Bind stopped running

Okay, dns has corrected and I can use my webbrowser to see our existing website on firstdomain.com.

System mail is sent to my user-at-firstdomain.com and when I used tools-squirrelmail to access my email I found
Code:
WARNING: service dns not running (server: server,firstdomain.com, port: 53)!
These notices have been posting every half-hour since 10:00am local time this morning.

Checking services shows that BIND is "OFFLINE"

Suggestions?
Old 6th February 2009, 11:04
Super Moderator

Thanked 5,171 Times in 4,055 Posts

Install and configure bind as described in the perfect setup guide for the linux distribution that you use. Bind should be installed even if you use an external dns server.
The Following User Says Thank You to till For This Useful Post:
bobwdn (6th February 2009)
Old 6th February 2009, 14:20

Default bind9 will not stop

As root, I ran
Code:
apt-get install bind9
and I then did
Code:
/etc/init.d/bind9 stop
I get
Code:
 * Stopping domain name service... bind                                         
rndc: connect failed: 127.0.0.1#953: connection refused
                                                                         [fail]
Now?
Old 6th February 2009, 18:39
Super Moderator

Thanked 2,715 Times in 2,557 Posts

Is this an Ubuntu system? If so, make sure that you disabled AppArmor.

FB: http://www.facebook.com/howtoforge

nginx-Webhosting: Timme Hosting | Follow me on:
The Following User Says Thank You to falko For This Useful Post:
bobwdn (6th February 2009)
Old 6th February 2009, 18:51

Default yes, Ubuntu

Yes, it is Ubuntu and AppArmor is disabled and uninstalled (like howto 9instructed.)

Since building this server with Ubuntu 8.04.1 and ISPConfig 2.2.27 (in July 2008, I think) I have never run
Code:
apt-get update and/or apt-get upgrade
If I am having an issue with bind9, I would hate to compound the issue by upgrading.

It was working fine until 10:00am yesterday and that is about the same time my dns nameserver settings were corrected at GoDaddy.

Could the info connecting between their dns servers and my bind9 be an issue?