Go Back   HowtoForge Forums | HowtoForge - Linux Howtos and Tutorials > ISPConfig 2 > Installation/Configuration

Do you like HowtoForge? Please consider supporting us by becoming a subscriber.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 22nd November 2008, 23:10
httpDee httpDee is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 10
Thanks: 2
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default Phantom DNS entry causing problems

I am running around 30 web sites on an ISPConfig machine. The system is also providing DNS (thorugh ISPConfig). I recently removed an old site, and ever since, each time I add a site or make a change to an existing site through ISPConfig, DNS will fail to restart.

The first time this happened, it took me a while to figure out what was causing the problem, but eventually I noticed that named.conf still had an entry for the old site:

Code:
zone "sneakyolddomain.com" {
type master; file "pri.sneakyolddomain.com"; allow-query{"any";};
};
but that the zonefile listed ("pri.sneakyolddomain.com") no longer existed.

I deleted the entry in named.conf manually, then restarted DNS with /etc/init.d/named restart

Everything worked fine, until the next time I added a new domain through ISPConfig. Once again DNS failed to restart. I checked named.conf and sure enough the entry for sneakyolddomain.com was back ...

This has reoccurred many times now, and I have gotten used to manually editing named.conf and restarting, but I would love a way to fix this. Can anyone tell me where the sneakyolddomain.com entry in named.conf is coming from?

Thanks in advance
__________________
httpDee
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2  
Old 23rd November 2008, 01:02
_X_ _X_ is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 247
Thanks: 8
Thanked 37 Times in 35 Posts
Default

check Recycle Bin ... all of them!

you can always try to search in ISPConfig SQL base for string: pri.sneakyolddomain.com

then you can backup that base, try to delete all records with that string and see if everthing works. If not you have base backup.

Nevertheless manual changes to ISPConfig database are nor recomended.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 23rd November 2008, 03:46
httpDee httpDee is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 10
Thanks: 2
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default Thanks for replying

Thanks for the response _X_

I checked the recycle bins ... no love there.

I haven't made any manual changes to the database, although I will try that later ... at our next scheduled downtime period.

I did however look around the database a little and found sneakyolddomain.com has a row hiding in the dns_isp_dns, dns_nodes table.

Anyone have any insight on what other relationally referenced rows might need to be removed?
__________________
httpDee
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 23rd November 2008, 04:15
_X_ _X_ is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 247
Thanks: 8
Thanked 37 Times in 35 Posts
Default

well that's question for Till or Falco ...

did you try to check, repair, optimise database from ISPConfig admin?

after that search again for same domain in database.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 23rd November 2008, 18:54
httpDee httpDee is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 10
Thanks: 2
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by _X_ View Post
did you try to check, repair, optimise database from ISPConfig admin?

after that search again for same domain in database.
Thanks again. No I didn't think of that, but I'll give it a try
__________________
httpDee
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 1st December 2008, 09:34
httpDee httpDee is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 10
Thanks: 2
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by _X_ View Post

did you try to check, repair, optimise database from ISPConfig admin?

after that search again for same domain in database.
I just wanted to give an update. This problem is still unresolved.

I have now tried checking / repairing / optimising the database from the ISPConfig admin. No errors were encountered, but the sneakyolddomain is still present in rows of the dns_nodes and dns_isp_dns tables.

Does anyone have any guidance about manually excising these entries from the database? Are there other entries that need to be removed as well? Is this really the source of the problem, or am I barking up a wrong tree?

Thanks in advance for any insights...
__________________
httpDee
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 2nd December 2008, 15:03
falko falko is offline
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Lüneburg, Germany
Posts: 41,701
Thanks: 1,900
Thanked 2,741 Times in 2,575 Posts
Default

If you want to remove it from the database, make a backup first, and then remove the records from dns_isp_dns, dns_nodes, and dns_dep.
__________________
Falko
--
Download the ISPConfig 3 Manual! | Check out the ISPConfig 3 Billing Module!

FB: http://www.facebook.com/howtoforge

nginx-Webhosting: Timme Hosting | Follow me on:
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Squid Proxy Caching on Linux obzerver Installation/Configuration 4 13th August 2008 19:51
Google Apps dayjahone General 19 29th March 2008 17:25
DNS Configuration Problems VMartins Installation/Configuration 10 24th July 2007 14:40
Unable send receive emails vassilis3 Installation/Configuration 15 19th May 2007 14:34
No SPF record. beryl Installation/Configuration 6 17th May 2007 19:52


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 00:04.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.