Go Back   HowtoForge Forums | HowtoForge - Linux Howtos and Tutorials > Linux Forums > Programming/Scripts

Do you like HowtoForge? Please consider supporting us by becoming a subscriber.

Old 4th October 2008, 08:02

Default array allocation question in java

In my source code for a mathematical project and I'm running into a problem that ends with a duplicate variable names error. In my function I take a string as an argument to be the name of a new array that will be allocated. Here's what the source code looks like
Code:
private static void somefunction(String name) {
int name[] = new int[10];
}
I need to call that function at least twice and I think that the compiler is getting confused and tries to allocate an array by the name of name instead of the string I provide as an argument. When it gets called the second time it tries to allocate name[] again and javac raises the error.
Does anyone know how I could tell Java to name the array what I provide as an argument?
Sponsored Links
Old 6th October 2008, 06:59

[QUOTE=a_kanna230;148690]Java is a programming language originally developed by Sun Microsystems and released in 1995 as a core component of Sun Microsystems' Java platform. The language derives much of its syntax from C and C++ but has a simpler object model and fewer low-level facilities. Java applications are typically compiled to bytecode that can run on any Java virtual machine (JVM) regardless of computer architecture.

__________________________________________________ ____________

Uhh thanks but I already know about JVM, bytecode, and Java history. It's kind of irrelevant to my question but thanks for the refresher.
Old 6th October 2008, 14:22

I'm afraid it is you rather than the compiler who is confused. Of course the array is called "name". That you passed a String variable also called "name" as an argument to the method is irrelevant. You could probably do what you want to do by using reflection, but I think it is highly unlikely that it would be worth the trouble.

Of course, I have no idea what you are trying to achieve, but you might consider passing the array itself as an argument to the method, or using a Map<String, ArrayList> or something like that instead.
Old 17th October 2008, 18:57

check here to better understand how to make a new name for an array.
hth
The Following User Says Thank You to WayneKan1111 For This Useful Post:
CMYK (18th October 2008)