Old 30th June 2008, 17:08

Default DNS Question

Hey guys, I'm a bit new to the DNS world so I was hoping someone could help me out with a question I have.

First, I know the server installed Bind9. So that makes... my master DNS? What would my secondary DNS be? I have a license with networksolutions.com, would I use their servers? Does the Bind install activate two DNS servers?

I know that generally they're supposed to be two different servers, so if you guys could help out - that'd be great.

Also, I installed 2.2.32 I believe, and it has options for moving websites to multiple servers. Does this version support multiple servers? If it does could I just setup my other server and use the Bind9 it installs on both of them?

Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Old 1st July 2008, 08:51
Super Moderator

Thanked 5,242 Times in 4,108 Posts

Quote:
Does this version support multiple servers?
No, ISPConfig 2 does not support multiple servers. Multiple servers are supported with ISPConfig 3.

But you can sync a primary and secondary dns server with ISPConfig 2 as well. Please have a look here:

http://www.howtoforge.com/ispconfig_dns_godaddy

or you use the nameservers from your domain registry as secondary nameserver.