#1  
Old 21st May 2008, 00:30
dayknight dayknight is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 2
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Traditional DNS easy question

Hi,

First of all, I found "Traditional DNS" Howto be excellent tutorial. I had been looking to learn DNS and found several sites to be going through a lot of technical stuff which for beginners could be quite challenging to understand. This tutorial http://www.howtoforge.com/traditional_dns_howto walks you through basic DNS and is very easy to implement. However, I still have few questions

1) The tutorial specifies db.root and db.local as well as bind folder which I didn't find in Centos5 however I solved by creating bind folder and by creating symbolic link db.root and db.local to named.root and named.local respectively using the following commands (for those who want to know).

mkdir /var/named/chroot/etc/bind
chown root:named /var/named/chroot/etc/bind
cd /var/named/chroot/etc/bind
ln -s ../../var/named/named.root db.root
ln -s ../../var/named/named.local named.local

(question 1) even though the DNS works fine, for clarity and security sake, did I set the right group for bind directory? and also is it ok to sym linking to files in named directory?)

2)I checked the DNS configuration using DNS online tools and found that the secondary nameserver doesn't have the PTR (reverse record and points to the local machine) which I couldnot set as the tutorial instructs to create a named file with type slave which I think is meant to be created on a seperate machine for redundant DNS hence I didn't make use of the security feature outlined on page 8 of the tutorial --- allow-transfer { 70.253.158.45; };.

(question 2) How would I set the second name server to have a reverse record so it passes the DNS check. Would there be any problems with current setup that I have?

Thank you for your help
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2  
Old 21st May 2008, 14:07
falko falko is offline
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Lüneburg, Germany
Posts: 41,701
Thanks: 1,900
Thanked 2,740 Times in 2,575 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dayknight
1) The tutorial specifies db.root and db.local as well as bind folder which I didn't find in Centos5
The tutorial is based on Debian, so paths might differ.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dayknight
however I solved by creating bind folder and by creating symbolic link db.root and db.local to named.root and named.local respectively using the following commands (for those who want to know).

mkdir /var/named/chroot/etc/bind
chown root:named /var/named/chroot/etc/bind
cd /var/named/chroot/etc/bind
ln -s ../../var/named/named.root db.root
ln -s ../../var/named/named.local named.local

(question 1) even though the DNS works fine, for clarity and security sake, did I set the right group for bind directory? and also is it ok to sym linking to files in named directory?)
That seems to be ok.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dayknight
2)I checked the DNS configuration using DNS online tools and found that the secondary nameserver doesn't have the PTR (reverse record and points to the local machine) which I couldnot set as the tutorial instructs to create a named file with type slave which I think is meant to be created on a seperate machine for redundant DNS hence I didn't make use of the security feature outlined on page 8 of the tutorial --- allow-transfer { 70.253.158.45; };.

(question 2) How would I set the second name server to have a reverse record so it passes the DNS check. Would there be any problems with current setup that I have?

Thank you for your help
If you don't use allow-transfer, then you can fill in the zone manually on the slave.
__________________
Falko
--
Download the ISPConfig 3 Manual! | Check out the ISPConfig 3 Billing Module!

FB: http://www.facebook.com/howtoforge

nginx-Webhosting: Timme Hosting | Follow me on:
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 21st May 2008, 20:52
dayknight dayknight is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 2
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Thankyou Falko,

Is there any such thing as "traditional postfix" on how to forge ?
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 22nd May 2008, 12:21
falko falko is offline
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Lüneburg, Germany
Posts: 41,701
Thanks: 1,900
Thanked 2,740 Times in 2,575 Posts
Default

No. There are a lots of Postfix tutorials here, but none that goes that deep into the basics...
__________________
Falko
--
Download the ISPConfig 3 Manual! | Check out the ISPConfig 3 Billing Module!

FB: http://www.facebook.com/howtoforge

nginx-Webhosting: Timme Hosting | Follow me on:
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Squid Proxy Caching on Linux obzerver Installation/Configuration 4 13th August 2008 19:51
Google Apps dayjahone General 19 29th March 2008 17:25
DNS Configuration Problems VMartins Installation/Configuration 10 24th July 2007 14:40
Unable send receive emails vassilis3 Installation/Configuration 15 19th May 2007 14:34
Traditional DNS Howto - NS record question showe1966 HOWTO-Related Questions 3 4th January 2007 15:59


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 17:27.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.