Go Back   HowtoForge Forums | HowtoForge - Linux Howtos and Tutorials > Linux Forums > Technical

Do you like HowtoForge? Please consider supporting us by becoming a subscriber.

Old 30th November 2007, 02:20

Send a message via AIM to mtaylor314
Default web developer moving to linux

been a web developer for about 7 months and been getting more and more frustrated with windows. I have set up a LAMP system to develop some php web sites. No issues there. Using apache for Windows I can set up a web site at any directory as long as DocumentRoot was pointed there. I would change my lmhosts file for the servername and I'd be set. My problem is I need root privileges to edit anything under /var/www, which I prefer not to edit things with those privileges, and if I set my DocumentRoot to a directory in my user's folder, firefox says I don't have access to view "/". What is the best way to develop web sites with this set up?
Toshiba Satellite A135-S4427 - Dual booting Linux Mint 4.0 and Windows Vista Home Premium - Processor: Intel Core Duo T2250 (1.73 GHz/2MB L2 Cache) - Hard Drive: 120 GB SATA @ 5400RPM - Graphics: Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 950, Up To 224 MB Shared - RAM: 1GB DDR2 SDRAM @533 MHz (2x512MB) - Optical Drive: DVD SuperMulti Drive (CD/DVD burner) - Wireless: Intel PRO/Wireless 3945 802.11 a/b/g
Sponsored Links
Old 30th November 2007, 14:24
Local Meanie

please paste the output of:

Code:
ls -al /var
and

Code:
ls -al /var/www
In order to to see permissions and ownerships

Auto-Install Script for ISPConfig and Horde on a Vanilla Debian Stable

Need more Repos for Ubuntu? Repository Generator
Need more Repos for Debian? Debian Repository Generator
Old 9th December 2007, 23:52

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtaylor314
My problem is I need root privileges to edit anything under /var/www, which I prefer not to edit things with those privileges, and if I set my DocumentRoot to a directory in my user's folder, firefox says I don't have access to view "/". What is the best way to develop web sites with this set up?
Apache runs the php files as a certain user (could be called "apache", depending on your setup). That user needs to be able to read the php files. Off course, you will need write permission. With this information, you can set the rights for any directory under /var/www

the user "apache" (or whatever it is called) has a default group as well. If you make yourself member of that group, you can make every file user-writeable and group-readable and change the group ownership to that group.