Old 10th September 2007, 22:27

Default wget cron job

Hi. I have a bit of a problem. I need to download a bunch of mp3 on a weekly basis for my job. At work, we use a Mac OS X server. I can't get wget to work on it during a cron job. If I type it in on the Mac terminal, everything works fine.

I can however, make my Linux machine at home download the files without problem.

Here's my question. Is it possible to then take those downloaded files on my server, and send them off to another (off-site) server (that is behind a firewall)?

These can't be sent as a tar archive either...they need to be to full files.

Thanks!

Brian
Sponsored Links
Old 11th September 2007, 09:49

Sure you can, but you have to configure the firewall to allow your incoming traffic on the service's port you want to send the data.
Also the firewall must forward this incoming traffic on that port to the machine you want to reach.
Old 11th September 2007, 13:40

I control the firewall, so that's not a problem...can you point me in the direction of the code I will need to use?

Thanks for the help.
Old 11th September 2007, 16:21

unfortunately I can't give you "code", just some hints

Things are quite easy, at first you could check why wget is not working inside the cron. Maybe you could source your users profile,
e.g. * * * * * * . /root/.bash_profile && wget ...
This should set environment vars etc. But this file(s) differ from distro to distro, and actually I have no clue what it is in MacOS. Then you could write stdout & stderr to a file in the cron, maybe wget is telling you what its problem is:
* * * * * wget ... 2>&1 >> /temp/wget.log

If you want to upload files from @home, you have to check with which method you want to upload the files, e.g. ftp(s) (ftps != sftp, sftp is based on sshd) (needs ftp server in the company site), scp (needs sshd on the company site). Based on this you have to define a firewall rule allowing these ports from outside, if you have a static IP only from that IP, if you have a dynamic one, from all IPs or a possible range. Then forward these packets to the local IP of the machine where the accepting daemon (ftp/ssh, etc) is running.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ben For This Useful Post:
bschultz (11th September 2007)
Old 11th September 2007, 16:41

I found some stuff on Google today...just had to figure out how to word my search!... Here's what I camp up with.

Code:
cat /localdirectory/file.mp3  |ssh username:password@domain.com "cd /remotedirectory; cat > file.mp3"
That works...except it asks me for a password (which needs to be fixed if this is run as a cron) and I can't seem to specify the whole directory...just individual files (which will change names on a weekly basis).

Why the cron doesn't work on the mac? I don't know for sure other than to say, it's a M-A-C!

Last edited by bschultz; 11th September 2007 at 16:43.
Old 11th September 2007, 19:48

well you could write a shellscript with a for loop, or you do it with scp:

scp ./sourcedir/* user@your.server.com:/destination/dir