Old 27th November 2005, 01:30

Default Mandriva 2006 Install questions

Hi guys,
Installed ispconfig following the perfect setup.... Things went right and than diddn't and now its scrued up. No worry i want to reinstall the system anyhow. But getting deeper into all the infos in the process of my experiments i wonder about couple of things and i hope someone could clear things up befor i endeavour the next reinstall:
1) i would like to install in the paranoid security state (chrooted) or at least hightest. Does that give problems with ispconifig, and exactly what does?
2) i would rather use the standard Mandriva imap services (updates later on), does that give problems with ispc?
3) i would rather use the standard shorewall firewall and disable the firewall in ispc, does that...
4) i would rather use the sasl2 authentification thane the depriciated saslauthd, does that give problems?

Lots of questions but let mee say, it seems that ISPC is right on the spot! Looked long for a good opensource config panel and think i found it
Sponsored Links
Old 27th November 2005, 15:40
Super Moderator

Thanked 2,741 Times in 2,575 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bersi
1) i would like to install in the paranoid security state (chrooted) or at least hightest. Does that give problems with ispconifig, and exactly what does?
I'm almost sure that this will cause problems... These settings are so paranoid that almost nothing is allowed on the system! So don't do it, rather do as suggested by the tutorial.

Quote:
2) i would rather use the standard Mandriva imap services (updates later on), does that give problems with ispc?
In the tutorial I use the standard Mandriva imap package...

Quote:
3) i would rather use the standard shorewall firewall and disable the firewall in ispc, does that...
Not if you configure it properly... This means that also port 81 must be accessible otherwise you can't access ISPConfig.

Quote:
4) i would rather use the sasl2 authentification thane the depriciated saslauthd, does that give problems?
saslauthd is for sasl2, there's no such package for sasl1, so I don't think it's deprecated. Anyway, use it, otherwise you'll have problems with authentication...

The best way to follow the tutorial is to use an SSH client (like PuTTY on Windows) and copy and paste the commands from the tutorial.

FB: http://www.facebook.com/howtoforge

nginx-Webhosting: Timme Hosting | Follow me on:
Old 29th November 2005, 09:49

Default Thanks Falco

Thanks for your reply,
The thing is i followed the tutorial but was a little concerned about security having had soem problems with that in the past. I already run 3 servers under mandrake but use the Higher setting, and than allow ssh by hand. Anything known if that causes trouble with ispc?

Email
When i install the standard imap i dont see anything aubout the "cyrus..." you state in the tutorial, ut maybe thats concealed buy the mardrake installer, so that what confused me.

Mail authentification
Ok, i followed some other thread on that. Since i am not an expert on this i guess ill follow your arumentation on that .

Firewall
Configuring the new ports in shorewall isnt really that big a problem (you have to to that for mysql anyhow, so thats answered for!

So what im really left with is the sec settings.. paranoid won't do, but what about higher? i woulndt mind setting some services back on again but i'll guess, since i am not an expert on this the overall system would be more secure than the standard install?! And what about the chrooted daemons everybody is talking about (bind, proftp) could i set that up together with ispc?
Old 29th November 2005, 19:10
Super Moderator

I think the standard install is already very secure because ISPconfig has its own firewall that blocks requests on all ports that you don't use. I've never tried the "Higher" setting together with ISPConfig so it's up to you to find out if this works.

Old 29th November 2005, 23:00

Smile Ok Falko,

I will do that and report back here, but still arent there exploits wich use just the opened ports? There are as far as i know many descriptions on how to secure lets say bind. So there has to be more on that issue?! Wouldn't you agree? Or for that matter would you consider a whole different distro, lets say the debian based Unbutu or fedora or suse?

Last edited by bersi; 29th November 2005 at 23:05.
Old 30th November 2005, 00:05
Super Moderator

Quote:
Or for that matter would you consider a whole different distro, lets say the debian based Unbutu or fedora or suse?
If you ask me I'll always recommend Debian (see also http://www.howtoforge.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1393 ), but in the end it's a matter of which distribution you like most.