Old 19th February 2007, 22:20

Default openSuse10.2, ISPConfig, no PHP

Hopefully I have posted this in the right place now... previously I was trying to work through a problem here Transferring Hard Drive to new System.

Since my last post there I started from scratch with opensuse10.2 and the Perfect Setup for opensuse10.2. This time I did not perform the steps that indicated I would install ISPConfig at the end of the HowTo which I did not do. I loaded one of my sites and sure enough I was able to access PHP pages with no problems.

This leads me to believe that the issue is not with opensuse as some tried to convince me before. I don't believe the issue is with ISPConfig either, however I do believe there is something in the process of installing ISPConfig that is preventing my PHP pages from being accessed.

I like ISPConfig and would like to figure out why this is happening so I can continue to use it. :-) Since I reinstalled opensuse10.2 I don't have anymore of the files from the previous install. Still some information in the thread I linked above though.

Can we try to figure this out? It could be as simple as ISPConfig not setting my sites up under /srv/www/htdocs (I am thinking about the apache2 error log in the other thread... and that is where I loaded my site after this new install) but if that is the reason why didn't it? how do I fix it?
Sponsored Links
Old 19th February 2007, 22:25

Send a message via MSN to martinfst Send a message via Skype™ to martinfst

The installation procedure of ISPConfig modifies the PHP settings for Apache(2). It removes the standard allowed php execution. Otherwise you could not select to switch php on or off for a website. If you want to run PHP, you have to set the PHP tick box for every website you want php to work on. Maybe you created a website yourself in the main apache2.conf? If that's true, you should leave the creation of sites and apache configurations to ISPconfig. Just thinking out loud.
Old 19th February 2007, 23:27

Hi, thanks for replying!
Quote:
Originally Posted by martinfst
The installation procedure of ISPConfig modifies the PHP settings for Apache(2). It removes the standard allowed php execution. Otherwise you could not select to switch php on or off for a website. If you want to run PHP, you have to set the PHP tick box for every website you want php to work on.
Yes, while I don't know the actual process I was aware it did this. I have been through the setup twice with PHP checked for the applicable sites. There was even remedy in the previous thread I linked that indicates not to check the boxes therefore preventing ISPConfig from altering PHP configurations but that did not work either.
Quote:
Originally Posted by martinfst
Maybe you created a website yourself in the main apache2.conf? If that's true, you should leave the creation of sites and apache configurations to ISPconfig. Just thinking out loud.
Probably not, I did not mess with the apache configs except where directed by the Perfect Setup for opensuse10.2. I did set up the sites via ISPConfig on the previous tries but again when I access the sites from the internet I could not access any PHP pages or content. On my last install of opensuse10.2 without installing ISPConfig I still didn't mess with the apache config files. I simply copied all the files for a site directly into /srv/www/htdocs and as I said when I tried to access PHP content it worked with no problem.

With ISPConfig installed, sites up, this is the appache2 error I receive when I tried to access PHP content
Code:
[Sun Feb 18 17:52:29 2007] [error] [client ::1] Directory index forbidden by Options directive: /srv/www/htdocs/
which is why I am thinking maybe ISPConfig should be setting the sites up in /srv/www/htdocs/ instead of /srv/www/. I am willing to give it a try but I do not know where/what to change in ISPConfig to do this.
Old 19th February 2007, 23:53
Super Moderator

Thanked 5,652 Times in 4,461 Posts

Please copy your websites to the website root directories that ISPConfig creates for your site and not in the default suse directory.
Old 20th February 2007, 00:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by till
Please copy your websites to the website root directories that ISPConfig creates for your site and not in the default suse directory.
I did, web1, web2, web3 etc... correct? ISPConfig also generated directories with the site domain names and when I placed the files in the root directories they were copied into the domain directories also by ISPConfig I assume.

Each time I tried the setup with ISPConfig an ls of /srv/www/ would look like this
Code:
cgi-bin htdig htdoc perl-lib web1 web2 web3 www.thefractalfarm.net www.latcarfproductions.com www.heartwinds.org
Old 20th February 2007, 08:48
Super Moderator

Thanked 5,652 Times in 4,461 Posts

Quote:
I did, web1, web2, web3 etc... correct? ISPConfig also generated directories with the site domain names and when I placed the files in the root directories they were copied into the domain directories also by ISPConfig I assume.
ISPConfig is not copying any files in the websites. You will have to upload your files to the web directory of the website. Example:

/srv/www/www.thefractalfarm.net/web/

Quote:
Each time I tried the setup with ISPConfig an ls of /srv/www/ would look like this
Thats perfect, exactly as it should be.