Go Back   HowtoForge Forums | HowtoForge - Linux Howtos and Tutorials > ISPConfig 2 > General

Do you like HowtoForge? Please consider supporting us by becoming a subscriber.

Old 6th February 2007, 03:28

Default Email Questions & Problem

Thanks for the help in advance, I have been searching the forums, but haven't found anything posted yet. I am rebuilding my web server using the Perfect Ubuntu 6.10 setup. I have it installed successfully (to my knowledge). Anyway, here goes the questions:

1. When an email is sent out via a hosted domain, when I receive the email, it will literally say "web7_corey@example.com" instead of "web7_corey@myrealdomain.com". So when I reply to the message, it won't get delivered. I have checked the local-host-names, main.cf, virtusertables, hosts, checked my hostname, etc. Any thing I am missing?

2. As with the email address above, am I able to remove the web7_ that is preceeding the email address? So it would just be corey@myrealdomain.com?

3. Can I add users for email to the hostingdomain.com site? Or do I have to create a hosted site?

Thanks,

Corey
Sponsored Links
Old 7th February 2007, 19:09
Super Moderator

Thanked 2,751 Times in 2,581 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by koltz
1. When an email is sent out via a hosted domain, when I receive the email, it will literally say "web7_corey@example.com" instead of "web7_corey@myrealdomain.com". So when I reply to the message, it won't get delivered. I have checked the local-host-names, main.cf, virtusertables, hosts, checked my hostname, etc. Any thing I am missing?
You must set the correct sender address in your email client.

Quote:
2. As with the email address above, am I able to remove the web7_ that is preceeding the email address? So it would just be corey@myrealdomain.com?
See above.

Quote:
3. Can I add users for email to the hostingdomain.com site? Or do I have to create a hosted site?
You must create a web site hostingdomain.com in ISPConfig, and then you can add email accounts on the User & Email tab.

FB: http://www.facebook.com/howtoforge

nginx-Webhosting: Timme Hosting | Follow me on:
Old 7th February 2007, 23:13

This is through SquirrelMail for sending. I figured out how to change the names by eliminate the preceeding web(number) in the ISPConfig, but mostly right now is just the username@example.com that it is being sent from. The username is correct, it is when a user replies, it is replying to "example.com".

Corey
Old 8th February 2007, 10:10

Send a message via MSN to martinfst Send a message via Skype™ to martinfst

The 'Reply-To' header is created by the client you used to create the original e-mail. Please have a look at the client settings originating the mail.
Old 22nd February 2007, 22:46

Default Same problem

You people can't read, can you. He's saying, the problem is with squirrelmail and not an email client like Outlook.

I have the same problem with e-mails sent from squirrelmail, well sort of. The from address, when the email is received, is <domain>.nl_<username>@<mailserverdomain>.nl and not <username>@<domain>.nl

Anybody knows what the problem is? I can't find it.

Ps. And please don't tell me every client who has an email account with us has to set his personal settings. I've used vpostmaster and never had that problem before. They also used squirrelmail.
But if so, is there a way that the user MUST set his personal settings when logging on for the first time?

Last edited by rvarkevisser; 22nd February 2007 at 22:53.
Old 23rd February 2007, 17:53
Super Moderator

Thanked 2,751 Times in 2,581 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvarkevisser
You people can't read, can you. He's saying, the problem is with squirrelmail and not an email client like Outlook.
Squirrelmail is an email client, just as Outlook is.

Quote:
Ps. And please don't tell me every client who has an email account with us has to set his personal settings.
That's the way it is. If your clients used Outlook instead of Squirrelmail, they'd have to do the same.

Quote:
I've used vpostmaster and never had that problem before. They also used squirrelmail.
Maybe on a setup with virtual users where the username is the email address? That's a totally different setup.

FB: http://www.facebook.com/howtoforge

nginx-Webhosting: Timme Hosting | Follow me on:
Old 25th February 2007, 01:07

Cool

Wheter or not it's an email client, it's serverbased. So you should have total control over the application/interface and how it shows to the client. Because you have control, there has to be a solution for this problem without the interaction of a user.

In vpostmaster, they use this as the domainname:
trim(implode('', file('/etc/'.(file.exists('/etc/mailname')?'mail':'host').'name')))

I can't make a thing of it, except that it somehow breaks the name into a logical email address. I didn't find a file /etc/mailname either, so I still don't have a clue???

I found a plugin though, through squirrelmail and I will have a look at it. It uses the url of the website and cuts the domainname and uses that in combination with the username for the e-mail address (or something like that). If you have a valid SSL certificate this doesn't work for you, because you have to have an SSL certificate for EVERY domain.

Another plugin excists where a new user is directed to his personal information, right after his first login.

Greets,
Remon Varkevisser

Last edited by rvarkevisser; 25th February 2007 at 01:10.