View Single Post
Old 18th December 2007, 16:51
Super Moderator

Thanked 2,741 Times in 2,575 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FXT
What purpose does the "servebox.example.com" have, is it even necessary? I don't plan on having this machine reachable via DNS, just IP.
It's not necessary, but saves a DNS lookup if your system uses servebox.example.com somewhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FXT
According to the howto, both "hostname" and "hostname -f" should output "servebox.example.com". Is that really correct? "hostname" only outputs "servebox" for me.
Run
Code:
echo "servebox.example.com" > /etc/hostname
/etc/init.d/hostname.sh start
Now both hostname and hostname -f should show servebox.example.com.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FXT
(2)
I'm running into a problem after installing mysql according to the howto. It might very well be related to the question above. It all works according to plan until i set the root password with:

Code:
mysqladmin -u root password newpasswordhere
The next step

Code:
mysqladmin -h servebox.example.com -u root password newpasswordhere
gives the following error:

Code:
mysqladmin: connect to server at 'servebox.example.com' failed
error: 'Host 'servebox.example.com' is not allowed to connect to this MySQL server'
I'd like to proceed with the install, but i'm stuck here.

Any help is appreciated.
Follow the steps in chapter 8 on http://www.howtoforge.com/perfect_se...pensuse10.3_p4 , beginning with As you've seen in the netstat output, MySQL is not only listening on localhost to fix the hostname in the MySQL database.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FXT
(3) Just thought of another question. Why do we want mysqld to listen on other interfaces than localhost? Anything that accesses the DB should be on the machine, anyway.
If all applications that need the database are on the same host, then MySQL doesn't need to listen on all interfaces.

FB: http://www.facebook.com/howtoforge

nginx-Webhosting: Timme Hosting | Follow me on: