View Single Post
Old 30th November 2007, 02:20

Send a message via AIM to mtaylor314
Default web developer moving to linux

been a web developer for about 7 months and been getting more and more frustrated with windows. I have set up a LAMP system to develop some php web sites. No issues there. Using apache for Windows I can set up a web site at any directory as long as DocumentRoot was pointed there. I would change my lmhosts file for the servername and I'd be set. My problem is I need root privileges to edit anything under /var/www, which I prefer not to edit things with those privileges, and if I set my DocumentRoot to a directory in my user's folder, firefox says I don't have access to view "/". What is the best way to develop web sites with this set up?
Toshiba Satellite A135-S4427 - Dual booting Linux Mint 4.0 and Windows Vista Home Premium - Processor: Intel Core Duo T2250 (1.73 GHz/2MB L2 Cache) - Hard Drive: 120 GB SATA @ 5400RPM - Graphics: Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 950, Up To 224 MB Shared - RAM: 1GB DDR2 SDRAM @533 MHz (2x512MB) - Optical Drive: DVD SuperMulti Drive (CD/DVD burner) - Wireless: Intel PRO/Wireless 3945 802.11 a/b/g
Sponsored Links