View Single Post
Old 26th November 2007, 07:21

Default Some basic pre-installation questions

Hi everyone--I have been reading these forums for the past couple months trying to gain knowledge and experience in server deployment. I am still very new to Linux but I have a strong desire to become proficient with it.

So with that said here is my scenario followed by my questions.

Server: Debian Etch (The Perfect Setup--completed--"Thanks Falko")
server1.pipeline2020.com

Network Info: WAN - 1 Dynamic IP - 63.92.159.xxx
LAN - 192.168.1.xxx
Gateway - 192.168.1.1
Netmask - 255.255.255.0
Network - 192.168.1.0
Broadcast - 192.168.1.255

Router Linksys - (with DynDNS updating to acehome.homelinux.net) Necessary ports are forwarded to 192.168.1.200

5 interfaces configured on server eth0 192.168.1.200
eth0:1 192.168.1.201
eth0:2 xxx.xxx.xxx.202
eth0:3 xxx.xxx.xxx.203
eth0:4 xxx.xxx.xxx.204

I have custom DNS services from DynDNS for pipeline2020.com which is a domain I own.

**I will preface my questions with the statement that I am attempting this for learning purposes only. Pipeline2020.com, although purchased for a purpose will be hosted on a commercial site when completed.

**My goal is to correctly configure a DNS server and resolve virtual websites to their corresponding internal ip's from the outside world. The primary reason is to provide ssl on each site that I run.

QUESTIONS:

(ISPConfig Install)
1. During the ISPConfig setup, what do i use for the ispconfig web IP?
2. What do I use for the hostname
3. What do I use for the domain

(Publishing my DNS server)

1. Given I have control over the DNS for pipeline2020.com can what is the best way to publish my DNS server so it can be seen from the outside world?

2. Is there a way I can cheat on the 2nd nameserver required as I do not wish to set up another system (probably frugal anyway since I only have 1 IP)

(ISPConfig Configuration)

1. Are there any special configuration changes I may need to make after the install. I noted on a previous practice install that the host was "www". And if I remember, there was a setting for Server 1 and the nameservers seemed to default to www.acehome.homelinux.net. (note on my practice install the FQDN was dserver.acehome.homelinux.net) whereas this new installation is going on the machine with a FQDN of server1.pipeline2020.com. I guess what I am wondering, where does the "www", and "Server 1" settings come into play? And what should my actual nameservers be?

2. When ISPConfig creates a new site obviously it is creating the DNS forward zone also. Is there any need for me to create a reverse zone for this site also?

If I can gain an understanding of these concepts I can get thru the install correctly I believe.

Note: On my practice install my DNS resolved correctly from the LAN but not the outside world.

Thanks you in advance for any help!

Jeff
Sponsored Links