View Single Post
Old 23rd June 2007, 19:41

Default ISPConfig DNS and virtual host configuration tips and problem

ISPConfig DNS and virtual host configuration tips and problem

After serveral iterations of attempting to manually and automagically configure elements to support ISPConfig, I have come to realize ISPConfig has its own idea of what settings /etc/bind/named.conf, /etc/bind/pri.yourhostname.ext and etc/apache2/vhots/Vhosts_ispconfig.conf should have. Although the majority of the work is done automagically, there appear to be anomolies that are imposed that cause trouble in an installation that is somewhat different from the perceived norm.

I am running a Ubuntu server two routers from the WAN (public Internet). The border router assigns "sticky" public IP's and firwall settings imposed on the internal routers (temporarily DMZ'd for install and test). The internal routers run NAT, also temporarily DMZ'd to specific server for install and test. A static LAN address is assigned to the Ubuntu server. During this installation and testing phase, the Internet feed is unincumbered by configurations on the two routers.

There are a few tips I can pass on to anyone having a similar network topology.

> /etc/bind/named.conf : check for unintended master/slave duplications caused by multiple attemts to reconfigure through ISPConfig interface.

> /etc/bind/pri.yourhostname.ext : host IP address should be public internet address.

> /etc/apache2/vhosts/Vhosts_ispconfig.conf : Virtual host IP address must use internal LAN address.

> /etc/apache2/vhosts/Vhosts_ispconfig.conf : the ServerAlias sometimes gets corrupted with the host server name. Make sure ServerAlias line represents aliases specific to the virtual name.

> /etc/apache2/httpd.conf : ServerName <yourserver FQDN> should be either in this file or appear in one of the other Apache.conf files.

Now, for a problem I haven't been able to figger out. nslookup <hosted.virtual.domainname> rotates resolving DNS server names. The responding DNS names are the names of the virtuals hosted on the server. So, as the command is executed several times, the name of the responding server rotates through what appears to be the list of hosted virtual servers. Does anybody know where to look to fix that?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links