View Single Post
Old 16th June 2007, 09:26

They successfully added the reverse DNS entry this morning, and now www.dnsstuff.com shows a response from the server, however the response indicated no PTR records exist. I believe this is because my ISP is referring the query to the correct server, but the zone. As indicated in the reverse DNS trace, the zone that is being referred to is formatted as:

yyy.subnetxxx.xxx.xxx.xxx.in-addr.arpa.

Where yyy is the final octet in the IP address of the ISPConfig DNS server, and xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx is the reverse of the IP of the start of my /29 IP block. So from this information, it looks like I will need to manually chage the name of the zone entry in named.conf.

So I changed the name of the entry in named.conf manually, restarted bind, and now the zone entry is shown as valid. However the server being queried is my dummy nameserver... and it is responding with NODATA.

So two questions if I may. I have 2 NICs on that machine but only one instance of ISPConfig and bind running, so I can only run one nameserver. What is the best way to handle having to run two nameservers on the same machine?

Second question: If I want ISPConfig to call the reverse DNS zone entry something different, where do I go about modifying that?

Thanks again for all the help.