View Single Post
Old 14th May 2007, 21:51

Default Setting up DNS server to resolve itself with root servers, registrars etc

I get this report from dnsreport when run against a domain setup in a mydns server.

Quote:
WARNING: Your nameservers do not include any corresponding A records when asked for your NS records. They probably are not returning the A records when asked, which can prevent some other DNS servers from contacting your DNS servers. They should do this if they are authoritative for those A records (in BIND, you should not use 'minimal-responses yes;'). The problem record(s) are:

Nameserver x.x.x.x did not provide any IPs
Nameserver y.y.y.y did not provide any IPs
From what I can see it appears that dnsreport expects the nameserver to return an A record for itself, although the domain name used by the nameserver itself is hosted at dreamhost.

Does that mean that I have to delegate the subdomains ns1.domain.com and ns2.domain.com from dreamhost to my own name servers and have them answer for themselves?

I had a problem before when I tried to change the name server for a domain to the domain itself i.e at the registrar set ns1.domain.com and ns2.domain.com as the DNS servers for domain.com. I don't know whether it was the result of some old fashioned DNS setup as it was some years ago.

The other alternative I can think of is to setup the servers, enter all the values currently stored at dreamhost and switch over the DNS at the registrar. I am not quite sure how that will work as it appears to be some kind of recursive chicken and egg situation. A lot of registrars seem to prefer domain names rather than IP addresses when setting up name servers.

I have a feeling it requires some unusual request at the registrar but I am not quite sure what it entails.

It appears to share some similarity with this thread - http://www.howtoforge.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7508

On the other hand it could just be simply a matter of making the right entries in mydnsconfig. Has anyone experienced this before?
Are the mental attitudes of the irresolute.

Ch 2.41

Last edited by voipfc; 14th May 2007 at 21:58.
Sponsored Links