View Single Post
Old 5th August 2005, 10:11
Super Moderator

Thanked 2,745 Times in 2,578 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by latcarf
Postfix is an alternate e-mail server program to Sendmail, correct?
How do I use it? By setting up a program such as Mozilla or FireFox mail? I did read somewhere about sending mail via a console but I am not ready for that yet.
You can use an email client such as Thunderbird, Outlook, Outlook Express, etc. There you set up a new email account, as POP3 and SMTP server you enter a domain that's on your server or the server's IP address, and then you enter your user's username and password, and finally you have to activate something called "Server needs authentication" (or the like), because otherwise you wouldn't be allowed to send emails to external email addresses (SMTP-AUTH).

Quote:
Originally Posted by latcarf
Same with Proftpd. Once I get the server squared away and actually open to the internet is it as easy as someone typing in ftp.mydomain.com? And they can download or upload files?
Same here. You need an FTP client such as WS_FTP from Ipswitch, there you enter an IP address or domain and your user's username and password, and then that user (noone else!) will be allowed to up/download files.

FB: http://www.facebook.com/howtoforge

nginx-Webhosting: Timme Hosting | Follow me on: